BBOXX is a UK based venture-backed company providing an affordable, upgradeable solar solution to meet off-grid customers’ energy needs. We are fully vertically integrated, controlling every part of our customer experience. Our market leading products and appliances coupled with our SMART Solar platform bring machine-learning and customer experience optimisation to rural Africa. Our ground-breaking financing structure has brought off-grid solar into the World’s financial markets. Whilst our human centred design approach to our retail business ensures that the BBOXX ecosystem is poised to massively scale during 2017. With over 100,000 systems deployed so far, 400 staff across 5 offices in China, UK and East Africa are waking up every morning to work with BBOXX to electrify 20 million people by 2020. We invite you to join us on this journey to electrify rural Africa.
As an Electronics Design Engineer at BBOXX you will be based in our London office, where you will work alongside a growing team of Industrial Designers, Firmware Engineers, Software Developers and Data Scientists to design market-leading products for the off-grid market across the developing work. BBOXX has proven the market for off-grid solar and related appliances, your role will be to assist the hardware development team to produce the next generation of products which will allow BBOXX to scale up its operations both within East Africa and globally. We are looking for someone who has experience designing and developing products which have been taken through the cycle into large volume manufacture. The core of the hardware we produce is a GSM connected, solar powered battery charger; a person with experience in any (or all) of these areas is desirable.
* Understanding the hardware requirements and design considerations for off grid power systems
* Developing new hardware designs for products which can be produced in large volume in a cost-efficient manner.
* Working closely with team members and external partners to verify and test hardware designs prior to production.
* Aiding in the writing of specifications for new products.
* Working with our manufacturing team in Asia to assist them with getting the electronics into production with our manufacturing partners.
* Providing improvement suggestions for the processes and procedures you operate
* Organising design files, test plans and documentation of final hardware to ensure easy handover to our support team both in London and around the world.
You will need the following skills or experience:
* Schematic and PCB Design of consumer electronics devices
* Experience of analogue and RF circuit simulation, design and layout
* Experience with design for manufacture.
* Experience taking a product through concept, design, testing, certification and production of 10K to >100K units
* Testing and certification of electronics products (particularly GSM connected devices)
And ideally some of:
* Experience using Altium Designer
* Experience with GSM connected devices
* Familiarity with embedded software development in C
* Have used ARM Cortex M3 or M4 devices in a design.
* Worked with Battery Management Systems and Solar applications
* Opportunity to work in a small, dynamic team on a high quality product for one of the fastest growing tech companies in the
* Monday morning
* BBOXX Sandboxx days - once a fortnight day to work on a self-driven project that you believe could have a benefit to your work or BBOXX generally.
* Regular socials - BBOXX organises monthly social events which can be proposed by anyone on the team. This could be anything from a picnic in the park to laser tag or the regular pub quiz.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.