Data and Machine Learning Engineer
at Alterest in London
At Alterest, we’re developing a data-driven, innovative platform, revolutionising the way institutions access the booming non-bank lending sector. We’re backed by some of Europe’s biggest names including Seedcamp, Simmons & Simmons and Winton Labs. Our existing team comes from reputable institutions like Carnegie Mellon University, Imperial College, London Business School, Royal Bank of Canada and one of the world’s largest hedge funds. We’re scaling our product to the next level and are looking for data-driven and highly motivated individuals to come join us!
The role will form an integral part of the engineering team with the potential to turn into a lead data architect/scientist. This is a highly visible position with dual responsibilities, where you will be working closely with the whole team, loan originators and institutional market participants from day one, to build both data pipelines and machine learning algorithms to produce insightful metrics while designing ways to integrate these algorithms as tools within our data analytics platform.
What you’ll do
- Design and build real-world data and machine learning pipelines for the lending markets
- Architect ETL/ELT, data integration strategies and approaches
- Use Maths, Prob/Stats and Machine learning to derive key insights and create analytical variables, metrics and models for institutional lending market participants
- Refactor algorithms into a distributed processing production environment
- Write highly optimised code for our internal data engineering and science toolbox
- Create and manage data and computing environments in the Cloud
- Develop and grow the data engineering and science team
- MSc or PhD level in the field of Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Applied Statistics, Mathematics, Quantitative Finance
- Strong experience in SQL and Python (or Scala / Java / R)
- Experience or strong interest in distributed computing technologies (Hadoop / Spark) and the Cloud (AWS and Azure)
- Understanding of machine learning and advanced statistical techniques i.e. Regression, Decision Trees, Random Forest, Deep Learning, Probabilistic Models, Monte-Carlo Simulations
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong presentation and communication skills, with a knack for explaining complex analytical concepts to people from other specialisms
- Experience with NoSQL DBs but not essential
- Keen to explore the growing world of alternative finance
This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in end-to-end data management for advanced analytics, data science and financial markets. We are a perfect place for quants looking for intellectual challenges of top banks and hedge funds but with the upside and benefits of working in a startup environment, and machine learning engineers to gain a solid understanding of the lending industry and financial markets.
Competitive salary, benefits and equity and/or bonus