Work with a world-class product and engineering team to build a world-class digital marketing software platform and business.
Authoritas is a rapidly growing software business based in the UK with customers all over the world. We have built a world-class SEO and content marketing software platform that helps companies of all sizes get the best return from their websites.
We have spent several years developing a unique global proposition and are starting to see some significant and award winning results with major eCommerce clients as we roll-out our new solution internationally.
We’re now developing the exciting next generation of our software using advanced Big Data analytics and machine learning to give content marketing and SEO teams an even greater competitive edge.
To support this development we’re looking for a passionate and ambitious engineer to lead the growth of our talented local and remote engineering teams.
Whether you might call this role VP Engineering, CTO, Engineering Lead, or something else, its aim remains the same; to build both product and team and frequently deliver value to customers.
If you are looking to take on this challenge then you will have very clear views on the scope of the role and your remit – as such we do not want to be too prescriptive here. Suffice to say there are three overall areas that would require the majority of your attention:
1. The technical vision of the company
2. Enabling the engineering team to deliver value to clients regularly
3. The engineering culture
In your extensive engineering experience you will have probably done some or all of the following:
• Developed resilient web applications that scale horizontally using modern open source frameworks and technology
• Architected and developed big data-driven projects
• Used a variety of languages, tools and technologies to achieve the desired results
• Recruited and developed talented engineering teams
• Led or project managed multi-disciplinary teams on challenging projects
• Determining workflows for development including iterations, release cycles, testing practices, deployment practices and code reviews
• Defined and executed on product roadmaps
• Created or contributed to a fun and intelligent engineering culture and environment
• Been hands-on when necessary to contribute to team delivery and lead by example
• Developed an effective and healthy engineering team culture
• Forecasted the company's technical needs in the future
• Established metrics and criteria for ensuring the company's technology is delivering and progressing according to business needs
• Put effective operational monitoring and support plans in place to ensure customer SLAs are met
• Developed and deployed data science driven and machine learning solutions
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements
• A bachelor’s degree in computing or related subjects
• A significant track record of building successful products and teams
• Multiple years’ experience in the open source technologies we use
• Passionate with a burning desire to make a significant impact in your role
• Desire to accelerate your career in a role where you have plenty of autonomy to get things done the way you think they should be
• Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills
• Strong commercial acumen and the ability to communicate technical concepts concisely
• Organised and capable of working on multiple tasks efficiently – at this stage of our growth we need someone who can lead but also ‘do’ and roll-up their sleeves to help the team deliver
• Python, PHP, Java, Scala
• MySQL, Elastic Search, Solr, Cassandra
• Graph databases like Neo4J, Titan or similar
• Apache Spark or Hadoop
• SOA Architecture and APIs
• Messaging systems such as Rabbit MQ
• Extensive experience in developing scalable, high traffic web applications and APIs
• Symfony and other modern web development frameworks
• Strong OOP skills - Live by the SOLID principle
• Solid System Administration and Dev Ops skills
• Machine learning interest and desire to implement worthwhile solutions for clients
• Most important of all – a desire to find, learn and deploy the best technologies for the job within an overall technical vision for the business
Bonus Skills (Desirable but not essential)!
• Fluency in other European languages (especially French)
• Experience with open source BI Tools
• Advanced SEO skills and experience of Google Analytics and Google Search Console
• Of course, we’d be particularly interested to hear from anyone with a track record of developing similar solutions in the SEO/digital marketing/eCommerce/SaaS space.
Why work with us?
We’re an ambitious young, fast-growing company intent on building world-class software for a global customer base of leading brands, agencies and e-commerce sites. You’ll have ample opportunity to shine, to share your knowledge and learn from a talented team. We offer a competitive package, opportunities for international travel and have a passionate and fun culture, flexible working arrangements and a great working environment.
Authoritas is based in Twickenham, SW London. (So, no nasty daily commute on the Tube!)
We’ll expect you to (and you’re the kind of person who’ll want to) contribute to all aspects of the business. We’re doubling the team in 2017/18 and this is a superb opportunity to be a part of a growing business (and even own a part of the business through our generous share option scheme).
• Competitive remuneration package, including a very generous allocation of share options commensurate with a senior leadership position (EMI approved share option scheme)
• Career progression - we encourage personal development, autonomy and responsibility
• Encouragement to attend international conferences and training days
• Flexibility to work on different projects with talented local and remote teams
• Relaxed office environment – with a WIFI enabled garden (and team BBQs in the summer and snowball fights in the winter!)
• You’ll be joining a growing company, with a unique global proposition, at an early enough stage to make a big contribution to our success and to accelerate your career
How to apply?
Drop our CEO Laurence O’Toole an email with your CV and salary expectations. Please also include any open source or community projects you have contributed to and links to any relevant work on Github or Bitbucket.