Freelancer.com is the world's leading freelancing and crowdsourcing marketplace. We're a two-sided jobs marketplace with tens of millions of users worldwide. Every day thousands of jobs are described, bid on, negotiated, and managed through our site; you will be working with a dataset that details a real life economy.
We are a data-driven company: Data trumps opinions, every time. Every new feature gets A/B tested and analysed with our Bayesian methods.
You have a strong maths and/or stats background. You know how to take your code to O(log(n)), and when not to bother. You love to reach deep into a SQL dataset and pull out an interesting story. You dream in probability densities, not expectation values. You can smell a badly-designed experiment from a mile away.
You will work on a product team and be part of the decisions relating to your product. You'll be expected to scour the data for trends and potential opportunities, and design and analyse A/B tests. From time to time, you'll ideally surprise us and invent new and awesome ways to use our dataset to make the site better.
We currently have a dozen data scientists across three offices; you'll be collaborating with a team of PhDs and grads with backgrounds in Mathematics, Physics, Neuroscience, NLP, Computer Science, and Petroleum Engineering. But we're a growing company and need more brains.
Our dataset is well-organised in Redshift, and is maintained by a team of data engineers - so there's less wrangling required than in many DS roles.
* Be the authority on data-related insights for your product team
* Design, manage and analyse A/B tests for your product team
* Explore our abundance of data to extrapolate meaning and influence decisions and strategy
* Drive projects that will directly increase conversion rates and overall Freelancer growth and revenue
* Tertiary Degree in Maths, Stats, Physics, Computer Science, or other quantitative discipline. 1st class Hons preferred, MS or PhD a plus
* Excellent Python/pandas/R, SQL and scripting skills
* Ability to process complex datasets and transform them into business decisions
* Understanding of Internet scale systems (scalability into tens of millions of users)
* Extensive knowledge and experience in statistics, machine learning and big data analytics a plus
* Open Dashboard: Our Dashboard contains thousands of graphs and we give access to every employee. You see what the CEO sees
* Cutting Edge Tech: Learn the latest tech, push back to the community, and talk about it all in our regular meetups
* Zero Bureaucracy: You won't need to fill out forms, argue with legal, or sit around doing nothing because you're waiting for approval from management
* Hackathons: Quarterly hackathons allow you to build a team and hack through really exciting projects. You can work on whatever you want
* Life Changing Products: Freelancer is the primary source of income for millions of people around the world. We really do change lives and you can help us build products that leave a lasting impact on our users
* Open Communication: At freelancer you have 100% visibility from day one. We communicate openly, with daily stat reports from our data scientists, weekly product reports and town hall presentations where you can ask the CEO anything
* Amazing office: Fully stocked bar, weekly team lunches, games consoles, fully stocked kitchens, open desk seating, small product teams, as many monitors as you want, the list goes on...
This won't be your typical cog-in-the-machine type of job. You will be exposed to the fast pace of a rapidly growing global technology company. If you're a high achiever with talent, looking for something more than a boring job in corporate, want to work with the best and brightest, don't need to be handheld, and want to be in at ground zero with a company that has a shot at being one of the biggest sites on the internet then please contact us.