Senior Data Scientist
at ONZO in London
(₤60000 per year)
You have a strong intellectual capacity, with the ability to rapidly absorb and understand complex business problems, and can apply your knowledge of analytics to develop Products with Data at their heart.
You can challenge ideas from others, yet can work together to deliver world class solutions for our clients.
You are a very strong team player, and recognise that everyone is pulling in the same direction. You regard your colleagues as your “Professional Friends”. You would not let them down and in turn, they will not let you down.
You want to be part of something that is early stage and disruptive.
This is a varied role, which therefore requires a natural self-starter, who is a driven, adaptive individual, and confident working on individual projects as well as larger scale products.
ONZO has a small and focused team based just a few minutes walk from Paddington, London. ONZO is a data science and analytics company aiming to disrupt the energy sector. By analysing the smart meter data from consumer homes, we provide deep insights into consumption to help customers understand their use, and utilities to better manage their network and to better engage their customers. We are building a broad and complex SaaS platform to deliver our patented machine learning and analytics techniques at scale, and deliver the benefits of this augmented data back to both utilities and their customers through API’s or web applications.
You will be part of a collaborative and growing product team based in our central London office. You will be working with highly skilled data science, data engineering and product teams to release great products that will be used by Utilities to help them engage and better understand their customers. Your skills will be put to use on deep problems in statistical modelling and machine learning across our product line, where we are building complex systems.
- Be a visionary, thought leader and subject matter expert in data analytics and data science, evangelising about ONZO’s capability to the wider market.
- Inspire a team of high calibre data scientists and analysts specialising in data mining and machine learning
- Own the delivery and successful execution of new and enhanced analytics design, prototyping and testing, to support the end-to-end product build process
- Actively build relationships with stakeholders across the business; technical data and development teams and commercial teams ranging from marketing and product to operations and finance
- Informed by Product Management, define ONZO’s data science / analytics strategy, publishing a roadmap of analytics capabilities that we will deliver to support the product roadmap
- Drive the innovation and development of data science products that will be embedded within our platform
- Educate the rest of the team on the latest technologies and best practises, and maintain relationships with relevant academia and industry parties.
- In conjunction with the Head of Engineering, define and refine the ways in which our data science products can rapidly be delivered into a production capacity, minimising the need to rewrite the products
Being in the team at ONZO
We believe in nurturing a relaxed physical and intellectual environment that encourages innovation. We positively encourage people to participate in the development process by contributing their ideas and experience, helping us improve both our products and the way we build them.
ONZO is an early stage company. Through many consulting engagements with utility companies, we have established a set of core needs that utilities will have to meet, in order to compete. We have just completed our MVP and this is being deployed to leading companies including some of the largest global utilities in both the UK/EU and the US. We are backed by leading Private Equity firms such as West Coast Capital and our vision for the future of ONZO is utterly gripping.
ONZO were the first energy data analytics company to adopt the use of Deep Learning, specifically TensorFlow, to solve some of the hardest problems in the domain, and we have successfully productised this technology.
Key Deliverables (D) / Accountabilities (A)
Product innovation (A)
The creation of new and relevant data science products / algorithms that meet our clients needs, potentially leading to patentable technology
Report on Data Science innovation roadmap, achievements against current plan, expected timelines, expected capability
Product capability (D)
Owning and communicating the “state of the nation” about our data science products and their accuracy / limitations / constraints
Own the catalogue of data science products, ensuring it is up to date
Product performance (D)
Determine what accuracy metrics are critical to the validation and consumption insight of our products and communicate these key metrics to management team and other stakeholders
Product creation (A)
Ensure that the products created by the data science team, can be rapidly incorporated into our production platform
Team performance (A)
Support the data science team in meeting deadlines
- Scientifically sophisticated and technically capable AI scientist, ideally an expert in Machine Learning and Predictive Analytics
- A Machine Learning expert with commercial experience in statistical and predictive analytics models specific to AI, evidenced by delivered commercial products
- A broad knowledge of machine learning techniques and algorithms and the ability to choose the most suitable one for the job or combine several in innovative ways to maximize the outcome (we’re not looking for, say, a Bayesian Networks specialist who doesn’t understand any other methods)
- Demonstrated statistical and machine learning experience, academic or commercial, and knowledge of major data science tools and frameworks.
- Proven ability to apply scientific method: understand the problem, hypothesise an apporopriate solution, prove an approach.
- Strong coding skills in at least one major language. Python is essential, and knowledge of other languages is optional but valuable (e.g. MATLAB/R/Java/C++).
- Ability to think outside the box and come up with unconventional, never-before-tried solutions to problems, whilst recognising the value of simple, pragmatic or heuristic approaches.
- Experience with TensorFlow and Deep Learning a plus
- You must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be capable of functioning independently and as part of a team.
- You must also have the ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment with frequently conflicting priorities.
- Thorough and accurate with good attention to detail.
A self-starter, able to prioritise tasks and manage own time effectively in a fast paced environment.
- Track record of success within world class data science teams
- Educated in a quantitative discipline, ideally AI or Machine Learning
- A proven track record of delivering innovative data science products, which have delivered real commercial value to external clients
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to communicate deeply technical concepts to non-technical audiences, at all levels and in all mediums from email to written and oral presentations
- Great organisational skills with the ability to thrive in a demanding environment whilst juggling multiple priorities
- A highly motivated self-starter with a can-do attitude, even in the face of demanding deadlines.
- Fluent in English, both written and verbal.
- You must be resident in the UK and have a full valid UK work permit.
- ONZO is not a Visa sponsoring company, and has no intention of becoming a sponsoring company.
25 days holiday
Permanent health insurance
Good coffee in a light airy office with views over London
How to apply
Please email your CV to the email address provided, with any covering note in the body of the email. Only one file, your CV, should be attached to the email, please.