at GoCardless in London
Drive the business and jump novel legal hurdles at a cutting-edge, dynamic and high-growth fin-tech company.
GoCardless processes billions in payments each year. Tens of thousands of businesses across the UK and beyond rely on us to handle their payments, and hundreds more sign up every week. As we look to the future, those businesses will be larger, more demanding, and present in multiple countries – and so will we.
The legal and compliance team are at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion and scaling – both domestically and abroad. We enable the business to move into new markets and geographies, often dealing with novel issues along the way. This is all whilst ensuring that deals get done at scale, and that the multitude of other issues that arise at a scale-up are dealt with appropriately.
The team is seen as an enabler, not a blocker, and we would like to keep it that way.
As Legal Counsel, you will take the lead across a number of legal areas – from planning for and enabling our expansion into new geographies and markets, through to ensuring that we meet upcoming data protection requirements.
You will take a consultative approach and work closely with every business division – never working alone, or able to concentrate on purely legal issues. We’re a fast-growing business, and your focus is to enable that business to grow – in the right way.
You will work closely with the rest of the legal team: our Head of Legal, Paralegal (soon to be Legal Counsel) and external advisors.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Supporting every team from across the business – sales, marketing, people, product and operations
- Helping lead our international expansion – evaluating regimes and market opportunities, before devising and managing entry plans
- Coordinating a cross-company effort to ensure compliance with GDPR and other similar requirements
- Instructing and managing domestic and international external legal counsel
- Being responsible for managing legal budgets and KPIs
- Putting in place new, and improving existing legal processes and training practices – aiming to put yourself and the legal team out of many ‘legal jobs’ wherever possible
- Being prepared to deal with any legal issue, at any time
- Developing into a regional lead counsel, as we add further offices and legal team members across the EMEA region
What we’re looking for
We’re looking for a lawyer (preferably English qualified, but we can be flexible) with exceptional private practice training, followed by in-house experience in a fast-paced environment. You will be driven and able to work independently, and able to apply your existing knowledge and approach across a very wide range of legal (and quasi-legal!) areas.
As a technology business, it helps if you have had experience in a similar area, or perhaps you have a keen interest in tech outside of your day to day work.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You are a lawyer, preferably English qualified, with significant post-qualification experience
- You grasp new legal concepts quickly, and are not afraid to use your common sense
- You have experience in scaling legal processes
- You know what a KPI is
- Your communication skills are first class, and you are able to distil complex and cumbersome legalese into understandable English
- You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding young company
Bonus points if:
- You’ve helped a company expand internationally
- You have knowledge of FCA requirements
- You have experience with selling and supporting SaaS solutions
- You can explain what an API is
This role would ideally suit someone with experience in a fast-paced in-house team, who is looking to help shape the legal team at a younger, high-performing company. However, we recognise that the most talented people can have the most unusual backgrounds, so if you’re unsure, please apply. The role will be based in London and we are really looking for a full time lawyer, but will consider exceptional part-time applicants.
Recent jobs at GoCardless
- Account Executive, Enterprise at GoCardless in London 16-11-2017
- Senior Account Executive at GoCardless in London 20-12-2017
- Partnerships Marketing Manager at GoCardless in London 24-01-2018
- Senior Operations Manager at GoCardless in London 26-01-2018
- Marketing Executive - Segmentation at GoCardless in London 02-03-2018
- Sales Development Representative at GoCardless in London 06-03-2018
- Inside Sales, Account Executive at GoCardless in London 14-03-2018
- Regulatory Manager at GoCardless in London 15-03-2018
- Compliance Analyst at GoCardless in London 16-03-2018
- Customer & Partner Success Manager (Germany) at GoCardless in London 20-03-2018
- Outbound Sales Representative at GoCardless in London 22-03-2018
- Customer Support Analyst at GoCardless in London 26-03-2018
- Customer Support Analyst (French Speaking) at GoCardless in London 26-03-2018
- German Marketing Manager at GoCardless in London 19-04-2018