Assistant Product Developer
at One Third Stories in London
One Third Stories is a high-growth start-up that inspires kids to love foreign languages. We do this by creating wonderful books that start in English and end in a different language, delivered each month as part of a subscription box. We’re looking for an assistant product developer to come on board and help us make even more brilliant books and story boxes in the fast-paced world of a small start-up.
One Third Stories was started by two friends as a passion project a few years back. We’re still a small team, but these days we work with amazing illustrators, authors, translators, narrators and teachers to create good old-fashioned bedtime stories that give children access to the wonderful world of foreign languages.
You might not have loads of experience in children’s publishing but you’ve got a good eye for what works and big ideas for the sort of books you want to make one day. You’re excited by getting involved with a whole new way of publishing and ready for the challenge of taking a project from an initial idea to a product that delights children and parents alike.
This job will be for you if…
- You’ve got a couple of years experience in the children’s publishing industry but you’re a little fed up of being a small cog in big machine.
- You’re one part daydreaming, story-scribbling free spirit and one part outrageously organised deadline deadeye.
- You’ve got great written communication skills, an eye for design, and a really strong pun game.
- Your attention to detail is putting a strain on some of your friendships because you keep printing out Whatsapp conversations and correcting them in red pen.
- You’re interested in exploring new ways of telling a good story and keeping kids entertained. Podcasts? Videos? Puppet shows? You’re up for experimenting.
- You love learning new things and don’t mind mucking in wherever another pair of hands is needed.
You’ll be responsible for…
- Working closely with our Creative Director to shape our publishing plan, commission new titles, and influence the direction of One Third Stories’ entire product range.
- Planning activities that are educational, entertaining and capable of keeping a six year old busy for hours.
- Writing and editing copy for activity books, our website, adverts, blogs, blurbs, staff tattoos…you might even take a crack at writing the odd story yourself.
- Liaising with authors, illustrators, translators, proofreaders, and graphic designers to ensure every Story Box is top quality, on schedule, and in budget.
- Talking to our customers to find out how we can improve each of our story boxes before coming up with a plan to implement these changes before the next print run.
- Good, clean, administrative fun including laying up books for print, managing freelancer contracts, triple-checking proofs, keeping up on industry trends, and organising creative assets.
If you have this that would be great (but no worries if not)
- Some level of proficiency in another language, particularly French or Spanish.
- Any experience working with children, especially in an educational setting.
- A decent level of experience across the Adobe suite, particularly InDesign and Photoshop.
What do you get?
- A budget allocated for you to learn anything you think might improve your performance or skillset.
- Three ‘Duvet Days’ a month to work from home so you don’t have to worry about commuting when you don’t feel like leaving bed (or are a tad hungover).
- You’ll be based out of an abandoned railway station in Camden Town (bohemian we know) with a bunch of other start-ups with the odd party here and there.
- Competitive salary with the opportunity to grow rapidly and take on additional responsibilities.
To apply, please email email@example.com with your CV and a covering letter