Regulatory Affairs Speacialist
at GoCardless in London
Ensure regulatory compliance and facilitate entry into new markets at a cutting-edge, dynamic and high-growth fintech company.
GoCardless processes billions in payments each year. Tens of thousands of businesses across the UK and beyond rely on us to handle their payments, and hundreds more sign up every week. As we look to the future, those businesses will be larger, more demanding, and present in multiple countries – and so will we.
The legal and compliance team are at the forefront of GoCardless’ expansion and scaling – both domestically and abroad. We enable the business to move into new markets and geographies, often dealing with novel issues along the way. We are looking for a key individual to help us firm up our regulatory standing at home, whilst driving early conversations with foreign regulators and advisors.
As Regulatory Affairs Specialist, you will ensure that we are complying with all UK payments regulations, including the Payment Services Regulations 2009 and 2017. You will be the driving force behind our leveraging of PSD2, working closely with the product team to identify opportunities, before going on to ensure we can take advantage of them. You will also take point on key elements of our international expansion – specifically setting out our strategy for regulator engagement and licensing in multiple new geographies.
You will take a consultative approach and work closely with the product and engineering teams, as well as the rest of the legal team: our Head of Legal, Paralegal (soon to be Legal Counsel) and external advisors.
Some of the main elements of the role will involve:
- Assessing the need for, and where appropriate, obtaining payments licences in multiple countries, to enable our international expansion – Making all regulatory processes scalable, to ensure we can keep up with the planned rate of expansion – Managing our interactions with the FCA and PSR, and international regulators, including variation applications, regulatory challenges, notifications and all similar matters – Managing our re-authorisation under PSD2 – Applying for new permissions under PSD2 – Staying ahead of current developments in the world of payments, such as the New Payments Architecture, and translating your understanding of these developments into actionable business objectives – Applying for a new payments licence in a European member state to ensure we remain able to serve our European customers post-Brexit
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
We’re looking for a driven and passionate individual with a background in payments – that might be as a lawyer, a consultant or regulator employee. We would expect you to be extremely operational, and able to drive processes through from design to conclusion. You will be comfortable working both independently on deeply technical issues, whilst also being a great collaborator when attacking complex multi-team projects.
As a technology business, it helps if you have had experience in a similar area, or perhaps you have a keen interest in tech outside of your day to day work.
WE’D LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU IF:
- You have previous experience in the world of payments – You are genuinely interested in the world of regulation – You are a project-management pro, handling gantt charts with ease – You enjoy, finding and implementing new tools and technologies to drive efficiencies – You know what a KPI is, can put them in place and report on them effectively, providing real insight – You have experience in scaling operational processes – You enjoy dealing with regulators – You savour a challenge, don’t get disheartened easily and drive projects through to completion – Your communication skills are first class, and you are able to distil complex and cumbersome matters into understandable English – You have a well-calibrated risk compass – You are easy to work with, and want to work in a fun, fast-growing but demanding young company
Bonus points if:
- You’ve worked with regulators on an international scale – You have experience at a startup – You know your AISP from your PISP
This role would ideally suit someone with experience dealing with regulators at a fintech. However, we recognise that the most talented people can have the most unusual backgrounds, so if you’re unsure, please apply. The role will be based in London and we are really looking to employ the right person on full time, but will consider exceptional part-time applicants.
Recent jobs at GoCardless
- Partnerships Marketing Manager at GoCardless in London 24-01-2018
- Senior Operations Manager at GoCardless in London 26-01-2018
- Marketing Executive - Segmentation at GoCardless in London 02-03-2018
- Sales Development Representative at GoCardless in London 06-03-2018
- Inside Sales, Account Executive at GoCardless in London 14-03-2018
- Personal Assistant at GoCardless in London 14-03-2018
- Regulatory Manager at GoCardless in London 15-03-2018
- Compliance Analyst at GoCardless in London 16-03-2018
- Customer & Partner Success Manager (Germany) at GoCardless in London 20-03-2018
- Account Development Executive at GoCardless in London 22-03-2018