Behaviour Change Specialist, UX Researcher and Designer at HealthTech startup Pactster
at Pactster in London
Position: Behaviour Change Specialist, UX Researcher and Designer at HealthTech startup,
Start Date: February 2018
Location: London, UK (remote considered)
Launched in October 2016, Pactster is an interactive online gym for people with specific health conditions, the first of which being cystic fibrosis (CF). We provide:
- Health specific exercise videos filmed in collaboration with CF physiotherapists, specialist fitness instructors and CF fitness role models
- Motivational and community support including community group workouts and a basic tracking dashboard.
Please see www.pactster.com for further info.
Our aim is to significantly improve people’s health and wellbeing through exercise. To date, 3% of the UK cystic fibrosis population have subscribed to Pactster, but we face a challenge of maintaining engagement and adherence to exercise longer-term (retention). This is an exciting and critical problem to solve as adherence to exercise is vital for improvements in physical and emotional health.
We have successfully obtained a grant from Innovate UK (Digital Health Catalyst) to carry out a 12 month project to assess how technological innovations can be used to increase exercise adherence and are currently seeking a UX researcher and designer with experience in behaviour changing health technology to help us carry out this project.
The Pactster team consists of 2 co-founders, Katie Bell and Pamela Scarborough, and CMO Natalie Goodchild.
Pamela has 15 years of experience as a physiotherapist in the NHS both as a clinician and manager and is motivated by improving quality and delivery of care. She has worked predominantly with people with chronic conditions, specifically cystic fibrosis (CF), and completed her MSc Physiotherapy with a focus on service development, adherence to therapies and the role exercise in CF.
Katie is the lead for technology and development. After beginning her career as an IT consultant in the asset finance industry working she has been involved in startups for the past 8 years. She founded her first startup in 2009, a social knitwear startup called Grannies, Inc. (acquired 2015) and was CTO of a startup which completed the Oxygen Startup Accelerator.
Natalie is a marketer whose expertise lie within the health and fitness sector. Having Cystic Fibrosis herself, Natalie offers a very unique insights into the condition and the CF community: our target audience. Leading by example, Natalie holds fitness qualifications and uses her in-depth knowledge of exercise to manage her condition exceptionally well.
We are looking for someone to join us for a 12 month project to lead the development of 3 behaviour change interventions at Pactster. You’ll be working closely alongside our current team to help us reach our primary project goal of getting more people with CF exercising more regularly on Pactster. The project is broken down into 3 research, design, implementation, testing and evaluation cycles. We would expect you to research current behavioural change techniques (through evaluating published literature and existing technology and conducting user interviews) and provide educated recommendations on interventions we should implement to improve retention, produce designs for product features related to these interventions and evaluate the results once they have been developed and tested.
We are looking for someone with a passion for how technology can be used to make long term behaviour change and a committed team member who can fully get behind this product, sharing our vision of making a significant global impact on the use of exercise as medicine.
As a person, you must be…
- Passionate – &amp;amp;quot;You have to be burning with an idea, or a problem, or a wrong that you want to right. If you’re not passionate enough from the start, you’ll never stick it out.&amp;amp;quot; – Steve Jobs
- Self-starting, a person who gets the job done and makes stuff happen
- Results/data driven – if you can’t measure it, don’t do it
- Flexible to the fast pace and uncertain startup working lifestyle
- Excellent at listening and communicating with people with complex and sensitive health concerns
We are looking for someone with excellent, proven skills in…
- Behavioural change, especially in the field of health tech
- UX research and design
- User interviewing
- Developing wireframes and prototypes centred around user needs, using leading prototyping tools for UX.
- Graphic design and visuals
- Evaluation of behavioural change interventions, using tools such as HotJar, including report writing.
Nice to haves:
- Experience in startups
- Experience in the health sector
- Background in health psychology
- The opportunity to play a significant role in a health-tech company destined to create a truly positive global impact
- Support from a multi disciplined team to effectively deliver a successful outcome
- An alternative to a 9-6 working life – we are very flexible around working hours and happy to work around other important areas of your life.
Salary and Commitment
Due to the nature of the project and funding available this will be a flexible, part time, freelance role for a period of 12 months starting in February 2018. Although not evenly distributed across the year the role is on average 3 days per week. We have a project plan that we would be happy to share with you at interview that will more clearly map out the time expectations of this role.
Your day rate will be negotiable.
Subject to resources available, our ideal would be to continue this working relationship after the project ends, bringing you on as a more permanent member of the team as a UX lead if this interests you.