at Made Tech in London
(₤40000 - ₤75000 per year)
Our Reliability Engineers evolve and maintain applications and infrastructure for our customers. Scalability and proactive improvements are the focus and good communication skills – the necessity.
WHAT DOES THE JOB ENTAIL?
Our application and infrastructure lifetime support services are an important part of our business. Often once our delivery teams have built custom software, the applications and infrastructure will be on boarded into our lifetime support team. This team is responsible for the ongoing development of applications, adapting applications to changing requirements as our customers grow, and fixing problems as they arise. We also onboard some applications that our teams haven’t built if they pass our quality and maintainability audits.
Reliability Engineers will split their time between responding to automated alerts, proactive codebase improvement, answering requests sent into our customer support desk, and ongoing feature development.
This role requires less of a physical presence with customers and therefore it is our first fully remote engineering role. You are of course welcome to work from our offices rather than remote but the option is open. As previously mentioned, regular communication with customers is still a must.
WHAT EXPERIENCE ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’ll expect you to be a polyglot programmer versed in a mix of object and functional programming languages. We expect you to be able to jump into a project in a language, framework or configuration you’ve not worked in before and be able to fix issues, improve the codebase and build new features in it. Not only this but the right person would be adept in sharing their knowledge with others – we’d love to hear some examples of coaching and growing team members.
Multitasking, or more accurately, prioritisation is a big part of being a Reliability Engineer. We expect you to be able to prioritise your work, be able to switch onto resolving emergencies without being told to, and keep all customers up to date.
Code is only the half of it. The other half is communication. We expect you to be a great communicator with customers and colleagues in written and spoken English. Reliability Engineers keep in touch with customers mostly via Slack and Google Hangouts.
Further required experience:
- Debugging a range of applications
- Experience debugging infrastructure (AWS/Heroku/Linux/HTTP)
- Working directly with customers
- Writing code with Test Driven Development
- Pair programming as we pair around 50% of the time
- Agile practices such as Scrum, XP, and/or Kanban
- Working with a range of SQL and NoSQL databases
- Infrastructure as code tools such as Ansible, Chef, Puppet, and/or Saltstack
Everything else is optional but highly sought after. We would love you to have experience in:
- Writing code with Acceptance Test Driven Development
- Component based design techniques such as using pattern libraries, styled components, CSS-in-JS, BEM, and/or SUIT CSS
- The React ecosystem including a TDD approach
WHAT IS IT LIKE TO WORK AT MADE TECH?
We are a sanctuary for those wanting to hone their skills alongside like-minded learners. After joining our team it is common for new starters to comment on how much they’re learning and how much they enjoy the fact they are surrounded by people they can learn from. This includes our most senior hires.
The biggest thing you’ll take away from our culture after spending the day with us would be that we practice continuous improvement at every level. Everyone has peer-based one-to-ones every 2 weeks, along with monthly one-to-ones with a director. Teams have fortnightly retrospectives. We also hold a company wide retrospective fortnightly. We discuss our problems out in the open, and rather than punish failure we band together to find solutions.
Other notable things:
- Every Friday afternoon is dedicated to learning new skills
- Everyone is encouraged to write blog posts regularly
- Our handbook is open sourced
- We are vegan and non-drinker friendly as well as meat-eater and drinker friendly
- Retreats and trips every year
We also offer the following benefits:
- Annual Performance Bonus
- Company Credit Card
- Remote Working
- Travel loan and cycle to work
- Untracked Holiday
- Team Lunches
- Brand new Macbook Pro
- Employee assistance programme (free finance/legal advice and phone counselling)
You can see our open sourced company handbook for more information.
Recent jobs at Made Tech
- Marketing Executive at Made Tech in London 02-02-2018