Lead Developer (Ruby on Rails)
at ImpactEd in London
About the role
We’re looking for a Lead Ruby on Rails developer to join as one of the founding team to build V2 of ImpactEd. ImpactEd is a unique digital platform that makes monitoring and evaluation easy for schools, supporting them in improving outcomes for pupils.
You’ll help to define the product roadmap, contribute to high-level decision making and receive mentoring from a CTO with 15 years’ senior tech development experience. You’ll be using your expertise to make a difference to the lives of thousands of pupils, joining an exciting tech for good initiative with considerable opportunity for growth and taking on leadership roles.
You’ll be part of an experienced team with a track record of success in technology and education, which includes the founders of education social enterprises The Brilliant Club and Researchers in Schools, and the award-winning digital agency Super Being Labs.
- Mid / Senior Fullstack Ruby on Rails Developer
- Salary: £50k with flexibility dependent on experience
- Contract role on a 12-month fixed term (with a view to permanent)
- Runway East (Moorgate) office – flexible and remote working
- 3+ years commercial Ruby on Rails experience
- Self-starter able to work with minimal supervision
- Server Ops and maintenance experience
- Interest in education sector
Nice to haves
- Google Sheets API experience
- Atomic Web design and componentisation experience
- Product development, UX/UI and Wireframing experience
Why work with us
- Agile development environment with influence over product roadmap and decision making
- Autonomy and trust: we don’t micromanage
- Regular feedback and support, including from a highly experienced CTO
- Use your expertise to make a difference to pupils’ educational outcomes
- Range of technical challenges as we scale from thousands to tens of thousands of users
About the project
ImpactEd works with schools to help them monitor and evaluate the impact of the interventions they run – this could be anything from after-school programmes to extra-curricular activities. V1 of the ImpactEd platform has been developed over the last year with Super Being Labs and is being used by several hundred schools and thousands of pupils.
Our current platform has limited scope, applying to only one educational programme. We’ve had huge demand from schools in developing the platform to support impact evaluation across the education sector, and are now partnering with national school groups to begin work on V2.
This is where you come in. You’ll be a full-stack developer who’s comfortable within an existing Rails codebase and taking the lead on all features of application development. You’ll be entrepreneurial and self-starting, with experience building real-world Rails products and every stage of the development life-cycle.
This role is a contract position on a 12-month fixed term basis, but with a view to permanent for the right candidate. Whilst looking for a full-time team member, we are open to discussing flexible working options.
About the team
ImpactEd is a startup that exists to improve pupil outcomes and life chances by addressing the evaluation deficit in schools. Our team brings together successful social entrepreneurs, academic researchers and former teachers with a shared ambition of using tech to improve outcomes for pupils.
This role is part of a collaboration with Super Being Labs, an award-winning social innovation agency which works exclusively on tech for good and social impact projects. Their work has included an app supporting women to move forwards after breast cancer treatment and a digital platform connecting ambitious 16-30 year olds with role models in specific industries.
ImpactEd’s Managing Director will be the ultimate product owner, but as the tech lead you’ll define the strategy for the product development in collaboration with Super Being Labs. Day-to-day you’ll be managed by the Managing Director and work closely with members of our Board.
The final application deadline is 5th March, but early applications are strongly encouraged: we will review applications as they arrive and may interview before this date. Apply through a short cover letter and CV. You can also get in touch for more details about the role or an informal chat.
Please note – we are looking for UK based candidates for this role. No recruiters or agencies please.