Senior Full Stack PHP developer
at Zodiac Media in London
(₤40000 - ₤60000 per year)
We’re an established, PHP focussed, website development agency. Our aim is simple, we help companies and organisations, who don’t have the resource in house, to build and maintain their online offerings. We’ve been running for 5 years and have an active client base of around 10-15 long-term clients. These are predominantly small businesses and “near government” organisations.
Being PHP focussed means that project work tends to be one of Drupal, WordPress, Magento, Symfony or Laravel. We’ve built up a solid business on these platforms, but we have ambitions to kick on and start analysing our clients’ businesses and more proactively offer suggestions as to how technology can help them become more successful at what they do. Along the way we hope this will offer us the opportunity to build digital products which we can re-orientate our business around. Machine Learning in particular is a topic we’re keen to explore.
In one line:
We’re looking for someone to provide an injection of experience, quality and leadership into our development team.
- Writing high quality code which will set the standard for others to follow.
- Taking the lead on the initial setup/architecture of a project.
- Helping provide breakthroughs with the most technically difficult parts of projects.
- Providing direction to more junior developers.
- Interacting directly with clients to guide them and match their business requirements with technical solutions.
- 5+ years of full-stack PHP web development experience.
- 5+ years of working with MySQL.
- Experience building/architecting websites, web applications and RESTful APIs from scratch.
- Ability to code responsive and accessible “front end” templates.
- An interest in helping other developers and passing on your knowledge.
- Good understanding of the importance of code quality and its impact on maintenance overhead.
- Excellent knowledge of Git.
- Comfortable working with Linux servers via the command line and setting up servers from scratch.
- Experience with virtualised development environments.
- Continuous Integration experience.
- Charismatic with good communication skills – good with people and not just computers!
- Open minded and loves a challenge!
Nice to haves:
- Experience with applied Machine Learning in any programming language.
Perks of the job:
- Good work life balance
- A relaxed and fun office vibe
- Varied and interesting work
- 24 days of annual leave
- Free tea, coffee, cereals and fruit, including a barista style coffee machine
- Fortnightly “board games” team lunches (we seem to be hooked on “7 Wonders”)
- The opportunity to have breakfast at work
Boring but important:
- You must be able to work on site at our office in Stockwell, South London during working hours.
- You must have indefinite right to live and work in the UK.
Please note that this job vacancy is being handled by our sister company www.zodiacrecruitment.co.uk. They’re the only agent we work with, and they very kindly provide their services to us for free, so please save our time and yours by not contacting us about the role!