Mid-level Software Developer - Ruby
at CharlieHR in London
(₤45000 - ₤55000 per year)
We’re Charlie, a beautifully designed, easy to use HR software for small companies. We believe that building a company is hard, running one shouldn’t be.
Our product enables small companies to automate many of the administrative headaches that they experience as they scale, and gives those who run businesses more of what they need the most… time!
We exist to run, build and change small companies so they can run, build and change the world.
Come and help us to create a world that works better.
In this role you will:
- Build and improve features in Charlie, a Rails app using the latest versions of Rails and Ruby
- Operate in a cross-functional team with other developers, designers, product managers, and other key business roles
- Works with developers of all experience levels to ensure you’re constantly both learning and knowledge sharing
A typical week will include:
- Shipping new code multiple times a day
- Pairing with other developers and reviewing code to maintain a high code quality and share knowledge across the team
- Team and company meetings where we discuss strategy, provide updates and share feedback
You must have:
- Professional experience with Ruby, and Ruby on Rails
- A strong understanding of how web applications work
- Confidence as an individual contributor; able to demonstrate that you’re a self-starter and are driven to join us in building a successful product
- Excellent communication skills and a positive attitude; able to thrive in a team environment
- An enthusiasm for mentoring Junior Software Developers and helping other excel
And the nice to haves:
- Experience mentoring Junior Software Developers
- Worked with design systems
- Similar SaaS business experience
- Familiarity with security (eg. ISO27001)
- Worked with Heroku
- A strong understanding of scaling web applications & performance
We know it’s nice to know what you’ll be working with! Here’s the list:
Ruby: Rails, Sidekiq, RSpec, Capybara
Infrastructure: Heroku, Postgresql, Redis
We are an equal opportunities employer and believe in the power of a diverse, inclusive team. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified people, regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
You’ll be joining a company that:
- Constantly encourages questions and feedback
- Puts a strong emphasis on always learning and always teaching
- Work in small, focussed cross-functional teams
- Is made up of 20 close-knit, ambitious and dedicated people who genuinely enjoy spending time together!
- Flexible holiday allowance
- Core office hours (Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 10-3, Tuesday & Friday 10-6)
- £500 yearly learning budget
- Social events (Team breakfasts/lunches, evenings out & 2 yearly company retreats)
- WOW (work on whatever) days
- Bike to work scheme
Recent jobs at CharlieHR
- Junior Software Developer at CharlieHR in London 15-10-2018
- Editorial Copywriter at CharlieHR in London 23-10-2018