Perl Developer - Contract
at Adzuna in London
We’re looking for a Perl developer to join one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest-growing startups. This is an exciting opportunity with the newly formed government services team, rolling out features to our newest product – the Find a job website – one of the most widely used Government services. The initial contract is for 6 months with the potential to extend or convert to a full-time role in future.
Our infrastructure is built around industry-standard open-source tools and runs on distributed clusters. You will be part of our experienced, multi-disciplined team that oversees all aspects of our government operations, ranging from powering the job search website, iterating content management and admin dashboards, to building fraud tools and services.
At Adzuna you will work independently in a fast-moving, low-structure environment where you will have the opportunity to help shape our technical direction and processes as we grow. An appreciation of the ‘DevOps’ movement is essential as we manage and monitor the systems ourselves. You will also need to understand the importance of building structured code that is fast, scalable, reliable and robust.
We offer a fun and supportive working environment, with an emphasis on team-working, mentoring and training. Adzuna is an exciting high-growth business where you can make a difference.
In this role you will:
- Partner with other developers to develop new functionality and tools
- Analyse business and technical requirements and develop solutions, taking into account variable aspects, such as performance, scalability, ease of maintenance and cost
- Help refactor existing processes and workflows to improve efficiency
- 4+ years with high-volume/high-traffic applications/sites
- Excellent Object-Oriented Perl, preferably including Moose
- Strong SQL (ideally MySQL) and DBIx::Class
- Experience with unit and functional testing (Test::More etc.)
- Good experience with Unix/Linux
- Version control systems, ideally Git
- Solid understanding of application data flow and lifecycles
- Strong attention to detail
Useful extra skills / experience
- Solr, Lucene, ElasticSearch or other search engine
- Templating frameworks (ideally Template Toolkit)
- Classified ads / vertical search websites
- Varnish, nginx, PSGI/Plack, Apache httpd, FastCGI
- Spidering technology
- Search technology and search engine optimisation
- Cloud infrastructure and tools (AWS preferred)
- Chef (pref), Puppet or an equivalent
- Gearman, Rabbit MQ or other distributed queueing/messaging frameworks
- Unicode and internationalisation
- Machine learning / neural nets
- About Adzuna*
Adzuna is a search engine for job ads used by over 10 million visitors per month that aims to list every job, everywhere. We search thousands of websites so our users don’t have to, bringing together millions of ads in one place. By providing smarter search options and powerful data about the job market, as well as unique tools like ValueMyCV, we give jobseekers the information they need to take control of their careers.
Adzuna’s data also powers the Number 10 Dashboard, used by the Prime Minister and senior officials to keep track of economic growth on a daily basis.
Adzuna launched in the UK in July 2011 and now operates in 16 countries. We have a great, international team, top class investors, recently won an award for best crowdfunding round of the year, and have been recognised as one of the government’s Future Fifty and Sunday Times Tech Track 100 fastest-growing tech companies in Britain.
Adzuna’s mission is to be the best place to start looking for a job. We love using the awesome power of technology to help match people to better, more fulfilling jobs and keep Britain working.
- What we offer*
- Competitive rate
- An opportunity to be part of a high-growth startup business with a friendly, informal, no-politics, low-hierarchy, multicultural team culture
- The chance to work with and learn from a highly motivated team of experienced internet professionals who want to make job search better
- Startup benefits like a positive attitude towards flexible working and families, your birthday off, cycle-to-work scheme, childcare vouchers, regular team training sessions – plus a table tennis table and a programme of team social events
- Large, bright, airy office in the heart of bustling Fulham Broadway