Head of Software Engineering
at Gousto in London
Gousto was founded in 2012 by Timo Boldt, with a mission to change the way that people cook. Gousto is one of the most dynamic and fast-growing start-ups in the UK. On a mission to help families enjoy good food, we believe home cooking is important, so we’ve made it simple. We take the hassle out of planning, shopping and cooking, by delivering weekly meals with the ingredients and recipes ready to cook, so there’s no more ‘what’s for dinner’ panic.
Gousto currently leads the category in the UK offering more choice, more delivery options and lower lead times than any of its competitors. This is really only the beginning though, we have big plans to transform our proposition in 2019 and beyond.
To support this ambition, we’re looking for a passionate and hugely talented Head of Software Engineering to help us build a technology platform to support this transformation. As the Head of Software Engineering at Gousto you’ll be working closely with our CTO to help shape our architecture, our engineering processes and help to build a massively talented engineering team.
Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record in building and scaling successful technology teams. We want someone with excellent technical leadership skills and a solid understanding of what it takes to design and deliver scalable, distributed, cloud based systems in a highly available manner.
Most of all you’ll be passionate about making Gousto a success.
- Building a world class engineering team – We are just at the beginning of our journey and will be looking to significantly invest in engineering talent going forwards. Helping to build a truly great team of engineers will be a big part of what you do.
- Continuing to evolve our Agile development process – We use Scrum, we like it and we believe it aligns with Gousto’s delivery culture. However, we also understand that our processes aren’t perfect and need to evolve as we grow. We’re looking for someone who’s seen Agile delivered in complex engineering environments across multiple teams.
- Leading the development of our next generation e-commerce platform – We’re building a broad and comprehensive platform that will power a modern and complex e-commerce business. We understand that building everything from a CRM, order processing capabilities and courier integrations into a single codebase is a bad idea. We’re committed to a Microservices architecture and passionate about delivering it properly.
- Obsessing over quality & performance – As the head of Engineering you should obsess over the quality of what the team delivers. Whether that be the quality and maintainability of our code or making sure we identify and squash every bug out there.
About the (ideal) candidate
- Strong software engineering background, ideally in scalable distributed applications.
- Experience building, running and leading high performing, autonomous engineering teams in complex environments
- A delivery mindset – We have a lot to do in a short space of time.
- You have a fundamental understanding of the principles of Agile and lean development.
- Experience in architecting distributed systems on a public cloud platform. Ideally, you’ll have experience designing a Microservices platform on AWS (even better if you did it without servers!).
- Worked within a DevOps organisation. At Gousto our developers are responsible for the operational health of the services they develop. We believe this fosters a great culture and are looking for someone who knows how to get the best from this.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, whether to the engineering team, to business stakeholders or to our leadership team.
- Experience working in a fast paced, high growth, technology focussed organisation.
- Proven experience of creating a forward-thinking technology culture.
- “tech 10%” – Use every other Friday to sharpen your own skills and work on your own projects
- Holidays – Time off for you to enjoy yourself! 22 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 25
- Holiday Purchase – Option to buy up to 5 additional days of annual leave
- Discounted Gousto boxes – 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends
- Company pension – 1% employer rising to 2% in April 2018
- Healthy Snacks – fruit and ice cream (ok, or not so healthy) provided every single day to keep you fresh
- End of Week Party – Wine, beer and soft-drinks provided every Friday evening
- Help us test the Product – As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- Gym Membership – Free membership of a local gym after 6 months
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular all-company socials – last quarter we played darts at Flight Club and the previous quarter we enjoyed a summer party at Dinnerama
- Quarterly team socials – our most recent was Axe Throwing
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it’s deeply important to have both genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.
Recent jobs at Gousto
- Lead Software Engineer at Gousto in London 23-11-2018
- Marketing Intern at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Backend Software Engineer at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- IT Support Engineer at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Technical Architect at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Delivery Manager at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Strategic Transformation Manager at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- People (HR) Operations Assistant at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Proposition Innovation Manager at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Innovation Strategy Manager at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Food Development Director at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Senior Frontend Software Engineer at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Platform Engineer at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Agile Coach at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Senior Backend Software Engineer at Gousto in London 26-11-2018
- Digital Product Analyst at Gousto in London 26-11-2018