at School Space in London
(₤30000 - ₤40000 per year)
Join us as the second tech hire at School Space, and help build our product out from scratch!
School Space is a social enterprise helping to fight the education funding crisis by working with schools to rent out their facilities to the local community. The income generated is used by the schools to improve the educational experience and facilities for their students, in addition to building stronger connections with the surrounding community.
Having recently raised a significant round of investment and graduated from Techstars London, we are entering a period of rapid growth as we head towards our goal of giving £7m back to schools by 2020.
We are currently a team of ten, split across London and Oxford. Our London base is a spacious, private office in EdSpace, an EdTech community hub in Hoxton. We’d prefer you to work from our London office, but are open to remote work arrangements.
About the role
Tech at School Space has so far consisted of combining off-the-shelf systems with Zapier and a lot of Google Sheets. With a CTO now onboard, we are starting to build out our own platform from scratch, which will consist of a new frontend for our customers and schools, a custom booking system, and an app for our on-site staff to help facilitate the bookings.
The role will mainly involve:
- Working alongside the CTO and a designer to help iteratively conceive, prototype, build, deliver, and test new functionality.
- A lot of input on the technologies, processes and practices we adopt, as well as on the overall product direction and system design.
- Frontend work: venue searching (think AirBnB), interfaces to schedule and manage bookings, as well as fairly complex admin dashboards. Mainly using React and associated libraries.
- Backend work: a complete booking system with bookable resources, one-off and recurring bookings, calendars, accounts, payments etc. Mainly using Node, Express, and Postgres.
- Helping to build a modern development and deployment setup: Github, Docker, CI, AWS etc.
Skills and Experience
We are open to applications from people with a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels. In order to succeed in this role you will likely need:
- Experience developing high-quality digital products, preferably in a startup.
- A desire to learn, and an ability to innovate and solve problems as part of a small team.
Beyond that, any of the following would be great to see:
- Broad experience across the JS ecosystem, such as TypeScript, Redux or React Native.
- An interest in product development and a desire to build amazing experiences for users.
- Experience with custom booking systems, or more generally marketplaces or e-commerce.
- Experience working with APIs: developing, consuming and integrating with them.
We currently partner with around 30 schools, in Oxford and London. In the last 12 months, we’ve generated over half a million pounds for these schools. That equates to 200,000+ free school meals, 40 additional teaching assistants, or 85,000 footballs.
We believe this is a great opportunity to grow as part of a small, passionate team, and make a significant and direct impact on the lives of children. On top of that, we can offer you:
- Salary and stock options
- 31 days holiday (inc. bank holidays)
- A generous learning and development fund
- A healthy work-life balance
- Extra benefits from EdSpace: Nice tea, coffee, fruit, weekly breakfast, monthly talks, and discounts on gym, restaurants etc.