Frontend / Fullstack Developers Wanted
at Beds & Bars in London
(₤35000 - ₤45000 per year)
Beds & Bars is a leading operator of backpacker hostels and sports bar venues, operating over 22 businesses across the UK and Europe. People and their career development are at the core of what we do.
We are a small agile scrum team currently rebuilding the company’s accommodation booking system into a modern platform based on the microservices paradigm. We are also looking at relaunching our core branded/corporate websites implementing technologies like Contentful and Netlify and using the latest PWA and JAM stack principles. This is a great opportunity to not only join a team that’s in the middle of a digital transformation into an Agile/DevOps culture, but to improve your own skillset and knowledge in the process.
Who You Are
We are on the lookout for new frontend and full-stack developers to join our team and help us on a range of exciting projects. Ideal candidates for this role have between 3 to 6 years’ commercial experience. However, the most important qualities we look for are that you are a self-starter, a problem solver and have the ability to see development work through to completion both independently and as part of a team, with a desire to build an amazing experience for the end user.
You have a keen interest in technology, the web and media, in addition to a strong determination to develop yourself and the team. You will have plenty of opportunity to grow through both our training budget and because in our team you will be working closely together with people of various specialisations from design through to DevOps. Cross-training is in our team culture.
Working alongside other team members, your main responsibilities may include:
- Building out parts of our new booking platform in the form of microservices
- Building out webpages and components for the customer and team-facing web
- Maintaining, enhancing and testing the existing code base
- Integration of 3rd party services through API and web service development
- Providing support for the team in the form of code review, pair programming and sharing your existing knowledge and experience
- Providing basic tech support to other departments
- Participating in the creative process and system design
Our Tech Stack
These are the current technologies we are using and would like to further build upon. As a candidate you would possess a subset of these skills and have a desire to learn some of the others on the list. We are always open to try out new technologies as well.
- Semantic HTML5
- CSS3, responsive layouts, CSS Grid and Flex
- ES6 / VueJS / ExpressJS / NodeJS
- PHP7 / Lumen / Laravel / Composer
- MySQL / PostgreSQL
- GIT / Command Line
- Azure DevOps Tools (Wiki, Repos, Pipelines)
- Azure PaaS
- Docker / Kubernetes
Other Technical and Personal Skills
Some of these would depend on the position you’re applying for.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- The ability to think analytically and strategically to help meet core business goals
- Any experience working in an Agile environment. We use Scrum and maintain our backlog and sprints in JIRA.
- Knowledge of microservice methodologies
- The ability to write automated tests following test driven development methodologies
- Experience working with OAuth2
About the Job & Job Perks
Start Date: Immediate Start is Preferable
Work Location: Our Central Support Office in London, Hammersmith
Resources: Desk with 27” iMac and any accessories and software tools you require
Work Hours: Mon-Fri with the option of working an 8 hour shift any time between 8:00am to 6:00pm.
Salary: 35-45k + bonus, depending on abilities and experience
Other Job Perks:
We are well known for training our staff through our Investors in People Platinum and Foot Steps programs. This extends through to our digital team where every year we have a budget for sending people on courses, apprenticeships, conferences, and to meetups. We also have subscriptions to various online training platforms and a monthly book budget.
50% staff discount on accommodation, food and beverages at our sites across Europe and the UK. Additional large discounts through our Europe’s Famous Hostels partners across Europe and our Mad Monkey partners across South East Asia.
At the office we have a fully stocked fridge with soft drinks and alcoholic beverages (beer o’clock and games every Friday around 4:00), a daily fresh fruit basket and a selection of teas and coffees.
We also have regular team lunches, staff parties and opportunities to attend other company events like sailing trips and work-related gatherings abroad.
NOTE: No Recruitment Agencies Please!