Essentia Analytics is a 5-year old fintech company that is transforming the way that professional investors make investment decisions. Our behavioral analytics service, provided to the world’s top fund managers, is powered by machine learning technology and is proven to help our clients to make measurably better decisions, resulting in higher investment returns.
Essentia has been honored with multiple awards, including The Guardian’s Startup of the Year 2014, the Hedge Fund Journal’s Best Performance Data Analytics 2015, and HFM Week’s Best New Fintech Solution for Hedge Funds 2016. We have been selected to take part in the Investment Association’s Velocity programme for future leaders in the asset management technology space.
The Essentia team is comprised of 18 FTEs and 9 Insight Partners in London (HQ), New York and Singapore. Our clients are some of the world’s largest and best-known equity hedge and traditional long-only fund management firms, as well as smaller funds and start-ups. Demand for our service is increasing rapidly as professional fund managers face significant countervailing trends, including stiff competition from low-fee index funds. Many now realize that they must continually prove and improve their investment skill using the most effective services and technology available. They are now turning to systematic and AI-driven approaches to continuous improvement – that’s where Essentia comes in.
Essentia has a very strong culture, based on authenticity and mutual respect. We embrace flexible working, and therefore place a high value on clear and timely communication. We have cared about diversity since day one and are proud that our team includes people from a wide variety of ethnicities, age groups, genders, backgrounds and interests.
We are looking for a research associate who wishes to further their career in quantitative research and data visualisation.
Using our data analytics platform, you will enjoy using our data to develop analysis that will be interesting to our clients, and translating those insights into compelling data visualisations. You will take a thorough and disciplined approach in order to produce output that is of a high quality and consistent nature. You will be keen to improve and learn new approaches and techniques to continuously improve our output.
The position will suit someone who has some experience in a quantitative role and/or using data visualisation tools, who is keen to develop, learn new skills and likes working in a fast-moving start-up environment.
*In this role, your responsibilities will include (but not be limited to):*
* Developing novel insights and analysis for our clients
* Researching new features in our analytics platform and offer suggestions for how we might incorporate into our visualisations
* Continuously improving the usability and aesthetic appeal of our reports and visualisations
* Maintaining the documentation library associated with our reports and quantitative methods
* Supporting the research team in propagating changes and updates across the library of reports
* Staying current on developments in behavioural finance, quantitative methods and data visualisation and sharing that knowledge across the research team
As a research associate, you will have experience working in a quantitative environment, using data to tell stories to clients with a spectrum of quantitative understanding.
*Do you have the following skills and attributes?*
* Several years’ experience is a quantitative role
* Experience using Python and associated data science libraries such as numpy, pandas and scipy
* Disciplined and thorough in order to produce high quality, consistent work
* Tenacious approach to making improvements and ensuring consistency
* Ability to communicate clearly, both in writing and orally
* Self-motivated, keen to learn and develop your potential
* Comfortable operating in a start-up environment (ie. without infrastructure, with an appetite for risk)
Whilst not required, the following experience will be helpful in the role:
* Experience using data visualisation tools, preferably Tableau
* Experience testing data science models and/or data visualisations
* Experience of financial data and/or the financial services domain
* Knowledge of behavioural science
We can only accept people who already have the right to work in the UK.
If you think this a great description of you, we'd love to hear from you! Please send your CV, with a cover letter that explains why you think you're the right person for the role.
*NOTE TO RECRUITMENT COMPANIES:*
We’re inundated with requests from eager recruiters just like you. However, we already have our preferred recruitment partners in place and we’re busy building award-winning behavioral software. Please understand if we don’t get back to you.