Use your coding skills to enable better work for a team of 40, increase our productivity and make our lives awesome with automation and creative problem-solving.
Do you want to apply your software development skills to enable a team to be super-efficient? Do you want to develop your business acumen while using your technical skills to automate away the boring work? Do you want to work in a flexible, autonomous environment that encourages learning and development?
If so, read on!
GrantTree works with many of the UK’s most innovative companies, helping them to maximise their government funding opportunities. Our goal is to become the number one provider in the software space, and so we are expanding our team. This rapid growth has created a greater need for technology development in the business and for someone excited about getting involved in all aspects of running and improving our technology infrastructure.
As a Software Engineer for Internal Tools, you’ll quickly dive into the codebase of our core internal claims management system and help adapt the system to the changing needs of the business. You’ll be supported by an existing development team of three who will help you get running, and you will be expected to work closely with the operations team and to make decisions on design and implement tools that will increase their productivity. We’ll encourage and support your learning and development, be it through developer conferences, online courses, external coaching or whatever you decide is right for you.
On a typical day, you might:
- Write the code for a selected feature request, make a pull request for your code and deploy it
- Talk to a colleague about their recently submitted feature request, work out if the solution presented is the most optimal and effective solution for their problems, then implement and deploy a solution
- Receive a bug report marked as critical and the tool has been failing since the last commit, you fix the bug right away
- Define SQL queries to help the team build reports and identify their work blockers
- Help a non-technical colleague understand the technologies in one of our clients technical claims
GrantTree has a unique way of working. In our culture, everyone has the freedom, power and trust to do their best work. We’re a self-managing company, meaning our team can choose where to work, what meetings to attend, and what to work on. We allow you to explore your potential, and do what you love doing, without the shackles of people managers. Ultimately, we aim to uphold human aliveness and commercial success simultaneously. It has been successful for us so far, although it's not for everyone (check out our GlassDoor reviews to learn more). GrantTree was founded 8 years ago and employs 40 people. In our culture everyone has the freedom, power and trust to do their best work. We call this open culture. Our way of working aims to uphold human aliveness and commercial success simultaneously; it’s been successful for us so far, although it's not for everyone (check out our GlassDoor reviews to learn more).
- You’re enthusiastic and able to work autonomously
- You know how to deploy to Linux (Shell scripting, Git, etc are all a plus)
- You have independently developed and taken solutions from concept to deployment
- You’re motivated and willing to learn about and contribute to the wider business
We believe that people should be rewarded fairly for the work they do. At GrantTree there is no secrecy over salaries and the way we work them out. For this role, your salary is likely to lie between £35-50k depending on experience. Aside from money, we offer a place where you can be yourself and engage in empowered, purposeful work. We want you to develop your skills and fulfil your potential. We have a flexible approach to working, and while we encourage you to spend some time in the office initially and from time to time, in general you can work remotely as often as you like. Our office is in the heart of the tech community, near Old Street, and has a fab roof terrace.
Other benefits include:
- Up to 6 weeks of holiday per year
- 100% flexible and remote working policy
- £2,000 yearly training budget
- Pension scheme via The People’s Pension
- Phone expenses policy
- Company SIP share scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Weekly “lunch force” allowance
- Monthly company picnics
- Quarterly wellness days and quarterly fun days
Teams are stronger when they have a diverse range of people. We welcome applications from everyone, regardless of the categories they put themselves in. If you think you’re the right person for the job even though you don’t quite fit the role spec, be daring and apply! Are you excited by GrantTree but not sure about this role? Please feel free to send your CV to so we can contact you about future vacancies.