Deepen your R&D expert career in a totally flexible, autonomous environment.
Do you love the thought of working on a wide variety of clients, from SME to RDEC, manufacturing to software, from simple companies to large groups, driving both the technology and the financial side of each claim? Do you want to do all this in an autonomous environment where you have complete control and flexibility to both achieve results and a healthy work-life balance? Are you excited by the opportunity to broaden your skills across the business, from dabbling in marketing to designing R&D training?
If this sounds like you, read on!
GrantTree runs an “open culture”, using innovative practices like Holacracy, complete financial transparency (including salaries), self-set pay, and flexible and remote working. We work with many of the UK’s most innovative companies, helping them to maximise their government funding opportunities. Our goal is to become the number one provider in the software space, and so we are expanding our delivery team across all levels of experience. That’s where you come in.
As an experienced R&D Consultant, you’ll be expected to build on your deep understanding of the R&D Tax Relief scheme, and get stuck in helping clients to get the best out of GrantTree within a few weeks. You’ll have your own client book that you’ll be responsible for managing, all the way from initial client on-boarding to congratulating them on their successful claim. You’ll be able to leverage your experience to shape our processes and make real changes happen.
A few months in, on an average day, you might:
- Visit one of your high-profile London startup clients with a technical colleague and gather the information for their claim
- Liaise with another client’s FD or CEO to assess the qualifying expenditure
- Congratulate a client on a recent funding round
- Provide input to our DevOps team for how to improve our bespoke in-house CRM
- Recognising new business opportunities and keeping astute with developments in the industry
- Do some self-study towards CIMA or another qualification you’re pursuing
- Interacting with HMRC, the tax authority, till a claim is processed
- A passion for technology
- Effective written communication skills
- Minimum 2 years experience in delivering tax credits claims, or equivalent, including in-depth knowledge of the CIRD
- Experienced understanding of how HMRC’s R&D Tax Credits scheme works
- Degree in Engineering, Science, Maths, Economics or related discipline (preferable but not mandatory).
- Comfortable speaking both on the phone and in front of clients, prospects and HMRC
- Experience managing a large book of clients featuring both SMEs and large companies
- Fantastic attention to detail and willingness to perform necessary administrative tasks
GrantTree was founded 8.5 years ago and employs 35 people. In our culture everyone has the freedom, power and trust to do their best work. We call this open culture. Our way of working aims to uphold human aliveness and commercial success simultaneously; it’s been successful for us so far, although it's not for everyone (check out our GlassDoor reviews to learn more).
We believe that people should be rewarded fairly for the work they do. At GrantTree there is no secrecy over salaries and the way we work them out. For this role, your salary is likely to lie between £35-45k depending on experience.
Aside from money, we offer a place where you can be yourself and engage in empowered, purposeful work. We want you to develop your skills and fulfil your potential. We have a flexible approach to working, and while we encourage you to spend some time in the office initially and from time to time, in general you can work remotely as often as you like. Our office is in the heart of the tech community, near Old Street, and has a fab roof terrace.
Other benefits include:
- You will receive a yearly training budget of £2,000 for courses and tools to help you on your individual developmental journey, so you can certainly allocate your CIMA qualification towards this.
- Weekly “lunch force” allowance - sit down for a meal with different GT partners each week to help build natural collaborative and friendly networks.
- Monthly company-wide picnics
- Flexible working - you have the ability to choose where and when you work best
- No dress code - bring your authentic self into work, complete with wearing what you’re most comfortable in
- Up to six weeks of holiday per year
- Three additional paid days off for volunteer work
- Pension scheme via The People’s Pension
- 50% of your personal mobile phone tariff paid for
- Cycle to work scheme
- Quarterly wellness days and quarterly fun days
- Subsidised private health insurance via Vitality
- Free food and weekly snacks, fruit, and booze
Teams are stronger when they have a diverse range of people. Applications are welcomed from everyone, regardless of the categories they fit into. We also encourage talented ‘square pegs’, who don’t neatly fit into the person specification, to apply.