Operations and Insights Manager
at Motley London in London
Motley is a new challenger brand intent on shaking up the jewellery industry.
We’ve built a new model to make great design scaleable and affordable. How? We collaborate with the world’s leading jewellery designers on one-off collections – bringing unknown and underappreciated design talent to the mass market, and making great jewellery design affordable.
We produce in small batch sizes; then scale up the successful pieces, much like the made.com model for furniture. We invest in the quality of our materials and production, rejecting fast-fashion and taking a more sustainable approach. And we’re on a mission to make the jewellery purchasing experience as delightful as the wearing – so are building out a truly-customer orientated tech product. We have a very serious brand vision with a very playful approach to a historically pretty stuffy, hierarchical industry. Inspired by colour and art, our (always non-professional) models are all ages, genders, shapes and sizes – because everyone can and should wear great jewellery that lasts.
Our journey so far
Motley is at the most exciting phase of its growth to date. We launched and closed our pre-seed round in October, and have had some brilliant early traction, both in revenue and PR (check us out in Vogue). We’re looking for someone to be a crucial part of that early journey with us; who’s up for the rollercoaster road of the early stage start up; and who genuinely wants to be part of disrupting an industry that’s ready for a shake-up.
We are looking for a motivated, well organised operations manager with strong attention to detail and process. You will love working across the whole spectrum of operations, from managing manufacturing partners hands on, to implementing process improvements. of operations disciplines including forecasting, as well as handling distribution networks and processes within the company. As an early stage start-up we need someone with a pragmatic and can-do attitude who is excited by the prospect of jumping in on diverse tasks and ensuring the rapid scaling a company under their leadership. Reporting into the Founders, you’ll have a huge amount of exposure to the business, play a key active role in how we drive the company forward and learn a ton along the way.
About the role
As Operations and Insight Manager, your primary focus will be improving supply chain and business operations for Motley.
Being more specific, you will:
- Manage relationships with our key supply chain partners and identify and build relationships with new ones
- Manage the end to end New Product Development (NPD) process, from onboarding designers through sampling all the way through to go live
- Manage key supply chain projects, from launching new packaging to identifying speciality logistics providers
- Introduce systems and processes to help us run more efficiently and effectively
- Identify and implement appropriate systems and technologies to improve the operational running of the business
- Manage the day to day supply chain and business operations, including inventory management, liaising with suppliers and forecasting
- Track and monitor key business and performance insights, identifying opportunities to drive the business forward and feed into the overall business strategy
We know brilliant people can come from a wide range of places – but we wouldn’t be surprised if you have:
- 2-4 years of experience in an operations-oriented role
- Experience at introducing systems and processes to improve efficiencies
- Highly thorough, with outstanding attention to detail
- Great communicator, with the ability to work with a variety of stakeholders – many of whom won’t be as structured and quantative as you are
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to pull trends and tell stories from disparate quantatitve and qualitative. Experience in forecasting is an asset, and proficiency in MS Excel is a must. SQL skills a bonus!
- Excellent project management experience, with the ability to move forward long term projects alongside the demands of the everyday
- A great sense of humour to cope with the unpredictabilities that supply chain throws up at you!
- Experience in manufacturing would be a plus. We’re industry-agnostic, but you’ll need to have a passion to learn the complexities and specificities that come with jewellery production
Who you are
- You have a hunger to learn and thrive in a fast paced environment
- You have huge drive and ambition – you want to build something great
- You’re hardworking and naturally take initiative
- You thrive in a team environment and are brilliant at working collaboratively; you’re naturally kind and thoughtful
- You’re open to being challenged and challenging others in a productive and respectful way
- You are openminded and flexible – you’re happy to respond to changing circumstances and priorities while keeping a cool head
- You’re happy to get stuck in and get your hands dirty
- You’re passionate about being part of a true ‘challenger’ brand – you’re up for trying things that have never been done before