Mid/Senior PHP Developer CONTRACT
at Work In Startups in London
Work In Startups is the UK’s number 1 platform for startup jobs. A site built by the startup community, for the startup community, we’ve grown from a humble launch in 2011 to becoming the largest dedicated tech startup job site in the country. Recently acquired by Adzuna (more about Adzuna below), we have some very exciting growth plans for 2019 and beyond, and are looking to bring on an experienced, contract, full-stack PHP developer for a minimum of 3 months to join our world class tech team and help millions of people find their dream startup job.
Our engineering team is pivotal to Work In Startups’ (and Adzuna’s!) future. It’s an exciting time as we scale our existing product offering and also innovate with new tools and user experiences to get more people into better start up jobs. We’re also only a small unit within Adzuna’s 30-strong developer team (a startup within a startup if you will!), so there’s a genuine opportunity to make a real difference here.
Based in our great Fulham office (or remotely based in Europe), you will work alongside our current lead developers and GM (as well as our Adzuna bank of back end, front end, dev/ops and product specialists), overseeing all aspects of our stack. The projects you will work on will include an initial revamp and reskin of the existing site before implementing a number of new features to enhance the user experience on Work In Startups for both jobseekers and employers. There will also be an opportunity to review our existing codebase and implement functional improvements to sharpen our edges, so we’re looking for someone keen to get truly stuck into the weeds. The aim is to build our systems and codebase to scale, and you will be able to demonstrate your experience in writing scalable code running in distributed environments.
Note, this is for a 3 month contract role but with the opportunity to extend further if mutually of interest!
We don’t like to put people in boxes, but you’re likely to have or be able to demonstrate much of the below:
- Experience in partnering with other developers to improve existing systems and develop new functionality and tools
- Able to analyse business and technical requirements and develop solutions, taking into account variable aspects, such as performance, scalability, ease of maintenance and cost
- Proven ability to help refactor existing processes and workflows to improve efficiency
- Passion for and ambition to assist and mentor other members of our development team
Technical competency and tools
- 5+ years with high-volume/high-traffic applications/sites
- 5+ years of professional experience with PHP (across the full stack), with expert level of the Zend framework
- Proficient in MySQL
- Fluent English
- Strong attention to detail
Useful extra skills / experience
- Classified ads / vertical search websites
- Experience with nginx and MongoDB
- Search technology and search engine optimisation
- Solr, Lucene, ElasticSearch or other search engine
- Experience working with remote teams
- Fluent Greek a bonus (but not essential)!
About Adzuna (the parent company of Work In Startups!)
Adzuna is a search engine for job ads used by over 10 million visitors per month that aims to list every job, everywhere. We search thousands of websites so our users don’t have to, bringing together millions of ads in one place. By providing smarter search options and powerful data about the job market, we give jobseekers the information they need to take control of their careers.
Adzuna.co.uk was founded in 2011 by Andrew Hunter and Doug Monro, formerly of eBay, Gumtree, Qype and Zoopla and is backed by leading Venture Capital firms Passion Capital, LocalGlobe, Index Ventures and Smedvig Capital.
We also supply real-time data to the Number 10 Dashboard and Office for National Statistics labour market indices. In 2018, Adzuna won the contract to run ‘Find a job’, one of the British government’s most used online services.
Adzuna’s mission is to be the best place to start looking for a job. We love using the awesome power of technology to help match people to better, more fulfilling jobs.
You can read more here: http://www.adzuna.co.uk/about-us.html
New Jobs Alert created!
By creating this alert, you agree to ourT&Cs
and Cookie Use.