Who are Opensignal?
Opensignal, a mobile analytics company, is the global standard for measuring real-world mobile network experience. Using billions of measurements collected 24/7 from tens of millions of smartphones, we analyze real-world mobile network experience at the largest scale and frequency in the wireless industry. We believe measuring how the network performs directly through users’ eyes is key to building better wireless networks. Our insights are used across the industry by mobile operators, telecoms regulators, equipment manufacturers and analysts. We have done business across six continents and have driven press headlines in 80 countries, in an industry impacting the lives of billions around the world.
Founded in 2010, Opensignal is a high-growth global company harnessing the power of mobile technologies and big data analytics to redefine how the mobile industry measures network performance. We’re part of the Global Telecoms ‘Power 100’, TechCity Future Fifty, and backed by an impressive portfolio of investors.
Having doubled our employee base to 60 at the beginning of 2019, we plan to grow beyond 80 by the end of 2019, to help drive our vision further. We're headquartered in London, UK, where you’ll find most of our employees, who we like to call 'Opensignalers', but the teams you'll work with are global. A truly international team, our ‘Opensignalers’ work across four continents, and represent over 25 nationalities.
Find out more by visiting our website
Purpose of the role
Opensignal are continuing to lead the way in a fast-paced marketplace, expanding at an ever-increasing rate internationally. That growth is led by our customer-centric approach to problem solving, ensuring that both our Opensignal and Meteor mobile applications do much more than simply measure mobile network experience, but also offer a suite of tools to help improve connectivity in a variety of ways. We enable our users to make the most out of their mobile network, as well as provide critical insight to network providers.
We are looking for a Senior Android Developer to join the team to enable us to accelerate work on performance of our SDK program and our native Apps. The role will hit the ground running, amplifying the team’s effectiveness, whilst helping to mature our in-house capabilities through support and mentorship over time.
You’ll be working at the cutting edge of Android mobile development and play a crucial role in ensuring the roll out of key metrics that measure network experience are embedded within our applications, and continuing to scale the robustness and effectiveness of our SDK program, to ensure we collect greater insights directly from users, in helping to improve connectivity world-wide.
- Your day-to-day work will involve taking part in sprints and Scrum sessions with the other developers. You’ll play a role in refining estimations and sprint planning, based on quarterly objectives the Mobile team agree with Product.
- We will expect you to write code using best practice techniques, making it easy to maintain with low technical debt. At the same time, any changes to your UIs will be done considering the impact of the end user, ensuring that customer priorities and needs are always kept at the forefront of development choices.
- You will have ownership over the code you create, meaning that you will write and execute unit and integrations tests, as well as take part in UI testing when necessary. You will also deploy your work using Jenkins, working with the DevOps team on our Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines if required.
- You will work with the Research, Data Science and Product teams on metrics that will become relevant in the future, particularly with the rollout of 5G. This will include identifying opportunities to make the most of new functionality and features in upcoming Android releases, such as Android Q. Once these have been identified, you will input them to our roadmap for future development.
- Your work will be varied, writing new and improving existing code, refining testing and deployment processes, and optimising the SDK for use by our partners. Our Apps have recently gone through the process of migration to Kotlin, so any new code will be written with that in mind; the migration will be a key project that you will help work on over the next year.
- Knowledge sharing and personal development are core parts of our company culture, so we will look to you to proactively mentor more junior members of your team and lend a hand wherever it is appropriate. You will also take part in code reviews and testing your colleagues’ code, as they will test yours in return, to ensure that work entering production is of the highest quality possible.
What we need from you
- Must have strong knowledge of Android Studio tools (Java, Kotlin) and Android Debug Bridge (ADB)
- Cross platform exposure to Swift would be a bonus!
- Proven capability in SDK App development as well as building excellent native Apps that you are proud of
- Understanding of SOLID principles and how to apply them to day to day coding, as well as how to write clean code and why this is important
- Good understanding of design patterns and what they do, using them in day to day coding
- Experience writing and using unit tests and integration tests, as well as testing your own code
- Whilst our APIs are built, you will be comfortable ingesting data in a RESTful manner
- We predominantly follow Scrum methodology and don’t mind which Agile methodology has used previously, so long as you have experience working with an Agile mindset
- Strong team player who is capable of collaborating confidently, building strong working relationships with stakeholders across multiple teams
- Ability to mentor more junior members of the team, providing support and sharing your knowledge when necessary
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, that allow you to find solutions that others might not consider
- Can work autonomously on multiple projects in a proactive, solutions-focused way, taking ownership of their work
- Willingness to learn and grow and want to actively seek out new opportunities for personal development
What will you get in return
- Competitive salary and stock options to share our growth
- Matched-contribution based pension scheme, company-wide bonus, private healthcare (including wellbeing subscriptions and discounted gym membership), cycle to work scheme and MacBook of your choice
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities in your role and the ability to make an impact from day one
- Personal development budget for conferences, courses, materials and training and regular 'OpenSessions' (internal learning talks)
- Our 'Opensignalers' - an ambitious, focused and friendly team backed by some of Europe's top investors
- Ability to work flexibly as well as regular all-company events (from team lunches, to monthly HQ socials and bi-annual away days)
- HQ in Angel, central London, filled with fresh fruit, coffee and an abundance of snacks and drinks, set in an area buzzing with coffee shops, eateries, a local market and bars.
To understand how we will be holding your information please take a look at our Recruitment Privacy Notice.