Applications close: 5pm on 6th September 2019
Interview dates: 11th and 12th September 2019
Start date: Immediate
Hours: 9:30am - 6pm Monday - Friday, plus at least one day of weekend work per month, with time taken in lieu
Salary: £35,000 - £40,000 p/a
Contract Type: Full time, flexible and remote working possible (for the right
How to apply: Please email a cover letter and CV. Applications without a cover letter will not be accepted.
School Space - Why
Like it or not, funding plays a critical role in a schools ability to deliver a great education, and we are unfortunately facing a funding cut crisis in the UK, the scale of which hasn’t been seen since WWII. This is the first problem we’re trying to solve.
Secondly, a recent study (conducted by the Eden project) identified that disconnected communities cost the UK economy over £32 billion/year. Extensive research has concluded that people feel happier, safer and more content when they live in connected communities and know their neighbours. Across the UK, connected communities are simply not happening.
This is where School Space comes in.
School Space - How
Schools have lots of spaces that sit empty on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
We work with schools across the South East to help them let their spaces to community groups, which not only increases school income, it also makes affordable spaces available to the locals which in turn helps to build a thriving school at the center of a thriving community.
School Space - Team
Founders James and Jemma have been working on this problem for 7 years, and recent success includes investment raises, 29 partner schools, over half a million generated for them. We’ve been on the Techstars 2018 Cohort, been nominated for Social Enterprise UK’s Social Enterprise of the Year, and picked up a few awards and amazing networks along the way. Our team are committed to the n th degree and full of the belief that social business is the model of the future. We have endless determination to see School Space grow fast and well, scaling our impact across the UK and beyond. In the mix we have Oxbridge graduates, marathon runners, a pilot, industry veterans, an Olympic torch bearer and a man who once ran a marathon with no training/trainers for an onion bhaji.
The Role - Why
We have an incredible local team that need training, inspiring and leading. You
will be responsible for leading a group of up to 80 Community Connectors (part
time staff who work based at our schools in the evenings and weekends). You will
have administrative support but lead the direction and engagement strategy to
ensure our team are empowered with the tools to do their job, with a focus on
The Role - How
Key responsibilities include:
- Line Management - whilst most of our remote team work between 5-15 hours per week, they need a point of contact, and you must master supporting them individually whilst drawing on others in your team to balance this responsibility
- Developing and Leading an engagement strategy - our Community Connectors (CCs) already engage via weekly videos from the co-founders and use slack to communicate, but we want you to revamp their ‘journey’ as a School Space team member, developing the touchpoints they should have to feel supported throughout their lifetime with us
- Developing a training programme - you would be responsible for starting the ‘School Space Academy’, which will involve training new starters and providing refreshers for existing staff members.
What we want from you:
- Comfort in working evenings and weekends, as training will have to be done in these hours (expectation; minimum one weekend a month, taken in lieu)
- Experience in leading communities, or managing large groups of people to success.
- A track record of developing a strategy yourself and seeing it through
- Empathy and excellent people skills - an ability to manage but also inspire via ‘low touch’ methods including innovative techniques
- The ability to self-start and self manage, to bring your own ideas to the table and manage them from start to finish
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable with using basic tech tools such as slack
- The ability and desire to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment with peers who challenge you to constantly improve
- An eagerness to take on more responsibility, and you thrive on change - we are a start up and that means things are fast moving.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.