Job Title: KPI Entomologist
Location: Easter Bush Campus, Edinburgh, EH25 9RG.
Position type: Permanent
Starting Date: November 2019
Beta Bugs - making better insects.
We’re an insect breeding company that is laying the foundation of a new, sustainable and rapidly growing bioindustry. Our vision is to be the company creating high-performance insect genetics that will feed, fuel and supply our world's growing livestock and human population. Our current focus is on the Black Soldier Fly and its use as an animal feed, with a mission of doubling this industry's productivity, so that it can truly compete on price against soya and fishmeal.
Summary of the main duties and responsibilities
This position is for a key role in Beta Bugs, enabling delivery of our Innovate UK Funded breeding programme,“Operation HiPer-Fly”, which will develop high-performance breeds of Black Soldier Fly in collaboration with our academic partner, the Roslin Institute, centre of excellence in animal genetics and breeding.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to break new ground in an interface intersecting industrial insect production and quantitative genetics. As KPI entomologist you will source, develop and maintain key Beta Bugs lines, whilst measuring and constantly improving on their performance; running and tuning the company’s genetic engine. The actions you take, and their results, will have a direct impact on the company’s product and performance. As a result, you will work across different parts of the company, and as the company progresses you will have the opportunity to grow your role alongside it, ensuring that our genetics is designed and bred to be best-in-class across a range of environments and industries.
Insect related responsibilities
- Scaling-up and maintaining project-critical Beta Bugs lines with input from the Colony Team as required.
- Measuring, recording and analyzing data pertaining to Beta Bugs lines.
- Work with the Engineering Lead in developing and implementing measuring methodologies for insect performance.
- Together with the Colony Team, ensuring continuous operation of Beta Bugs colonies for use in experiments and as part of business continuity.
- Installing and testing new equipment.
- Have a clear understanding of the commercial impact of the work and responsibilities and strive to optimise performance.
- Liaising with collaborators to ensure raw and interpreted data is provided in a timely manner so they can perform their tasks.
- Developing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures and training Beta Bugs team in their usage.
- Training of Beta Bugs team in line maintenance.
- Leading the Colony team on line measurement.
- Data entry and preliminary analysis
- Running experiments according to designed Standarding Operating Procedures.
- Undertaking, writing and updating risk assessments pertaining to colony performance.
- Liaising with Ops team to ensure key resources are obtained.
- Assist in other areas of the operation as required.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Educated to graduate level in an Entomology related discipline or demonstrating technical experience appropriate for the role.
- Must be diligent and organised, with data recording abilities and a positive work ethic.
- Have an eye for detail and be a completer-finisher.
- Able to work independently and within a team
- Good written English and oral communication skills and a diligent attitude
- Competent in Office and data handling software packages.
- 3+ years of experience in a commercial insect production role, with experience of maintaining multiple lines, collecting line data, analyzing it and implementing decisions from the results.
- A track record of working successfully both in a team and individually.
- Experience of insect rearing is essential.
- Shows initiative
- Shows adaptability and flexibility, overcomes challenges
- Strong and willing communicator
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Attention to detail
- Be receptive to feedback
- Capable of working at pace.
- Motivated, takes the lead and maintains it.
- Self-directing and independent.
- Rapid learner, adaptable.
- Ability to tolerate working in high temperatures and humidity
- Ability to lift up to 25kg
- Preferably holds a driving license.
- Open to travel for work.