Ably is the world’s fastest Data Stream Network (DSN) spread over 14 data centers and 175+ points of presence. Each day we stream billions of realtime messages to millions of end-users for thousands of developers around the world. Some of the things our platform powers: HubSpot’s chat and collaboration products, live score updates for millions of Australian Open tennis fans, live transit updates for three million Chicagoans. Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure that will power and shape the future of the internet.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at www.ably.io/careers.
What we do
Ably’s engineering team is deeply technical, collectively bringing a wealth of experience and broad technology skills across infrastructure, security, distributed systems, and much more. The calibre of the code we produce is what excites and motivates us each day. If you enjoy solving hard distributed system problems that are mostly platform agnostic and theoretical in nature, then you'll love working at Ably. You’ll work in a team that is small enough to be truly agile, delivering APIs that power some of the biggest tech, businesses and consumer brands in the world.
In this role
Ably is an engineering company at its heart. Our audience ranges from software engineers to CIOs and it’s our job to make sure the world knows about Ably.
You’ll lead the engineering team that is responsible for the core Ably services, including global infrastructure, realtime messaging fabric, client software and various supporting services.
You’ll report to the CEO, working under the technical authority of the CTO, and have responsibility for all aspects of delivery of the core service.
- Collaborate with our CTO in the design and architect our infrastructure, services and client software;
- Work in coordination with Ably’s internal customers (head of product and head of developer relations) to formulate the technology roadmap;
- Manage, prioritise and optimise the backlog to allow us to deliver against this roadmap;
- Build, lead and develop the engineering team;
- Define and promote the application of the development processes and all supporting resources, infrastructure etc.
You will be successful if you:
- Are an inspiring leader who can recruit, develop and retain developers in the most competitive technology landscape;
- Have experience with identifying, evaluating, and removing blockers for engineering teams;
- Have exceptional planning and execution capacity with an ability to monitor progress, take corrective action when necessary and communicate changes;
- Are an outstanding software practitioner with a demonstrable track record of technical innovation and process-based execution;
- Have recent, deep and directly relevant technical experience in areas such as distributed systems and fault-tolerant systems, cloud native architectures, infrastructure, realtime systems;
- Have experience with design, management and maintenance of infrastructure;
- Highly proficient in both dynamic and statically typed languages, ideally with experience with go, nodejs, elixir and/or ruby.
Nice to have skills and experience:
- Proven experience in building high-performance teams and scalable best-practices in an engineering organisation;
- Our team are active open source contributors and are encouraged to do this as part of their role at Ably. Being an active contributor to the open source community is beneficial.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team from the likes of Econsultancy and ThoughtWorks. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. We’re building a company with a diverse set of people who value:
- Ownership and impact of work. You have real autonomy and ownership over your work with a visible impact inside Ably, and externally on products powered by Ably that you use in your daily life.
- An environment to thrive. Modern, comfy office in the heart of Camden. Excellent transport links, Camden Food Market with over 100 food stalls and restaurants, and multiple work spaces to match your working style.
- Truly flexible working and not just lip service. Come into the office, work at home, or rock up at your local coffee shop at the hours you focus best.
- Work is varied and challenging as we’re solving hard, complex problems that push the limits of what’s possible with today’s software and infrastructure.
- Health insurance
- Gym membership
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly team breakfast or lunch
- Free drinks and snacks in the office
- Ongoing professional development (training, events, conferences)
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions towards your pension
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
Ably has a culture that values employee freedom and responsibility. Apply to talk to us to see if this role on an impactful and collaborative team is right for you.