The tech team at 38 Degrees design and build software that helps our members and our colleagues campaign to make Britain a fairer and better place to live.
In the last few years we’ve built dozens of new tools, including:
- A custom CRM that holds data on the millions of members who take part in our campaigns
- A second CRM that holds data on MPs and other politicians
- A website that helped hundreds of our members organise their own local picnics and fundraising events to support their local parks
- A tool that guides people through the process of calling their MP to discuss a forthcoming Parliamentary vote
Together with our campaigning staff, we’re always working on ideas for what to build next. You’ll need to communicate and collaborate with people across the whole organisation, and across our sister organisations in other countries around the world, to imagine, design, and build new features and new tools swiftly enough to take advantage of fast-moving political opportunities.
Our current vacancies are for mid-range or senior developers – we will generally expect applicants to have at least a few years of commercial web development experience. There are no formal education requirements for this role – as long as you can show us you have the skills we don’t mind where you got them from!
We build most of our software in Ruby (mostly Rails), use Postgres hosted on AWS RDS for most of our databases, and use Heroku to host most of our web applications. If your previous experience is with a different tech stack but you’d enjoy learning ours next, then we’re still interested in talking to you.
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Idea generation
- Able to work independently
- Quick to seek help when stuck or uncertain
- Can cope with context-switching to juggle multiple fast-changing projects and priorities
- Able to communicate effectively and work well with a diverse range of non-technical colleagues
- Open-minded and willing to learn new approaches to your role and our culture
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or another web framework
- Interested in politics/social justice, any experience of political campaigning/activism
- Project management skills
- Experience of giving and receiving feedback
- Exposure to Padrino, Postgres, AWS (RDS, Redshift, SES, S3), Heroku, React
Location: Based in either of our offices; Farringdon, London or Fountainbridge, Edinburgh
Salary range: £40,000 – £50,000 mid-range, £50,000 – £60,000 senior
Benefits: 27 days holiday per year (plus Bank Holidays), employer pension contribution, 24 hour employee support line, enhanced family leave policies, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme, free annual flu vaccination, rental deposit loan, contribution to eye tests