VP of Engineering - Leading Edge Retail Tech!
MishiPay - London
Competitive salary plus bonus and stock options
We are a retail tech startup changing the way people shop by bringing the best of the online shopping experience into physical stores with our Scan, Pay and Go journey.
Our technology allows in-store shoppers to use their phone to scan the barcode of any item in the store, receive enriched product information, pay directly in the app and simply walk out once payment is complete. For RFID enabled retailers, the act of paying automatically deactivates the security on each purchased item. For non RFID enabled retailers, we use our Staff Dashboard powered by our risk engine for verification, which still ensures security while not blocking the journey of every shopper due to the smart selection of the risk engine. This gives the best of both worlds to shop and shopper.
We work with some of the world’s largest retailers including Decathlon, MediaMarktSaturn, and others.
About this role:
The VP of Engineering will be responsible for delivering cutting edge cloud-based applications spanning web, mobile and desktop platforms and will be the most senior technical hire in the UK, reporting into our CTO in Bangalore.
You’ll be an incredible individual who will also lead and build our growing technical team, solve complex engineering problems and manage, mentor and inspire our existing team members. An ideal candidate must be a strong engineer, competent in all stages of software development. S(he) is opinionated but also flexible, someone who leads by example and by earning trust.
This role will suit someone who has worked on mobile platforms within a fast-paced startup or scaleup within Fintech, Mobile Tech, Retail Tech or E-Commerce. This person may have been the VP of Engineering or CTO previously, and will be adept at delivering technical strategic objectives, underpinned with a hands-on approach.You’ll have managed, inspired and developed small, talented, agile teams, ideally across more than office, and internationally.
You will drive our key projects and will work hand-in-hand with our CTO, Director of Information Security and Director of Product, on core engineering initiatives ranging from strategy, roadmap, research, design, implementation, code reviews, technical documentation, and post-completion support if needed. Experience and inclination to mentor junior engineers is a must.
The role will primarily be leading the technical front, with most of the time spent on architecture, deploying new features into production, evaluating new tech and building POCs so we continue to invest in R&D, and ensuring that all the projects are kept on track. As the most senior engineer in the London office, you need to be ready to provide technical guidance and presentations in all situations relating to not just the tech team but also commercial teams, customers, investors and partners as needed.
To be MishiPay material, on top of the skills and experience, you should be highly motivated, passionate about building the future of high-street shopping and like working in a fun, exciting and productive work environment.
- Drive rigorous product development and delivery of software across multiple, complex applications.
- Establish World-class standards and ensure appropriate development practices across the organization leading to consistent, high-quality deliveries across platforms.
- Work with Engineering and Product Management to manage and scope out the deliverables which align with both the client requirements and Shopper expectations.
- Plan and execute the long term vision of MishiPay Shopper and Dashboard Applications.
- Make hands-on Software development contributions to the different areas of the Technology stack.
- Represent and communicate MishiPay’s Tech Capabilities and Infrastructure to 3rd parties including retailers, partners, and investors among others.
- Work with the Executive Management including the CEO and CTO to align the Technology Goals with the Business objectives and plan.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience in an Engineering Management position, building and managing high-performance teams and scalable best-practices in a Startup.
- Experience leading a team of software engineers within the last 3 years with direct responsibility for hiring, goal setting, performance measurement, and performance management
- Hands on experience of Django based Web Server Architecture, Cloud Infrastructure, and delivering Mobile Applications. The latter is essential..
- Exceptional planning and execution capacity with an ability to monitor progress, take corrective action when necessary and communicate changes
- Proven ability to use metrics as a key driver in decision-making processes
- Self-motivated, driven, and results-oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with experience of presenting technical concepts to commercial teams or in a commercial situation.
- Degree in Engineering or Computer Science
You’ll work with an ambitious and inspirational multi-cultural team, based in our central London and Bangalore offices, who are redefining the retail industry globally. We offer a tight-knit, collaborative and exciting work environment, coupled with the opportunity to see the apps we develop live in action within some of the world’s largest retailers. We also offer a competitive remuneration package that includes KPI based bonuses.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
Please note that we have a direct hiring policy in place, at this stage, we're not interested in hearing from recruitment agencies. Thanks!