Talent Acquisition Manager - Engineering
At Koru Kids we have a triple mission: to support working parents during the hardest years of their life, to give children the best possible childhood to allow them to flourish as adults, and to create really great jobs for childcarers. The challenge is massive, but our team is crazy good. Join us and be part of something truly transformational.
We specialise in 'after school care', to provide care for that most difficult part of the day for so many families. Through Koru Kids, parents get a regular nanny who looks after the children at home so the kids can go to their after school activities, chill out, have dinner, and parents can come home to have quality time with them before bedtime. Koru Kids nannies are energetic, enthusiastic, flexible and reliable - and we employ both younger and older people, a rare thing in the childcare industry. We also take care of all the administration and payroll. Since our inception in 2016, we've delivered hundreds of thousands of hours of after school care in London and train and deploy more than a hundred nannies every week. Pretty soon we’ll be launching new services, driving social change to solve problems like the gender pay gap and lack of women in senior management positions.
Here’s your challenge:
In August of this year we closed a £10m Series A funding round led by Atomico, one of the world’s best Venture Capital investors in technology start-ups. We’re growing fast and hiring some of the best people in the market across Engineering, Product, Marketing and Operations.
We’re looking for someone to join us on a permanent basis to own the acquisition of engineering talent, building out our back-end, front-end, full-stack and engineering management capabilities.
As we scale from 50 to 120 employees and beyond, you will influence our organisational design, talent acquisition strategy, approach to candidate pipelining & succession planning, and many other areas of recruitment best practice.
We aspire to be the employer of choice for software engineers, particularly those with families and an affinity to our cause, so you will raise our profile in the local and international engineering communities. As a fast-moving business that is on a mission to change the way childcare works, you’ll also need to be comfortable with a degree of chaos, and both survive and thrive working with ambiguity.
You’ll have thrilled us in 6 months if you have:
- Made 8-12 permanent hires comprising software engineers, tech leads and engineering managers
- Reduced our reliance on agency contractors and consultants by bringing in contractors direct
- Built a pipeline of highly skilled future talent, taking into account considerations such as visa sponsorship and remote working
- Worked with our incoming VP Engineering to build a talent acquisition strategy that sets us up for ongoing achievable growth, advising on initiatives such as offshoring and outsourcing
Things you’ll need to know:
- What best practice recruitment looks like and how to coach hiring managers to achieve it
- How to work with hiring managers to define role profiles, teasing out nuance and being mindful of our culture
- How to conduct an internal recruitment process, from initial screening through testing and interviewing, into referencing, making offers, and managing onboarding
- How to manage our ATS (Greenhouse) whilst encouraging users towards self-serve
Things you’ll need to be able to do:
- Execute quickly, sourcing and engaging candidates to get some quick-win hires through the door and under your belt
- Sell and close - to hire the best you have to be at your best. It’s a candidate-lead market and you should know the tricks of the trade to build, maintain and capitalise on a candidate’s level of interest
- Negotiate - we’re a start-up, and this impacts the salary and benefits we can offer. On the upside we believe in ownership and can allocate equity
- Manage stakeholders - everyone has a lot to do. Diaries are jam-packed, and we have lots of unique individuals and personalities
- Spread our message via every means possible, including professional networking, job adverts, blog posts, thought-leadership discussions, and old-fashioned picking up the phone
- Use data to validate your thinking and report on your progress
How you will want to act:
- You will be results-oriented. A lot of people want to sit in rooms and chat about culture and progressive HR theory. We like ideas, but getting people through the door is paramount
- You will be a self-starter. At times this role may feel like you’re an army of one, so being disciplined and conscious of your time management is a huge prerequisite
- You will trust your own judgement while being open to change. You’ll be happy to lead discussions when you’re the expert, expect to be challenged, enjoy debating your position and capable of changing your mind
- You will understand how special this company is, believe in our founder, and champion us at every opportunity. We have high standards, and will expect you to hire a tight team of top talent
- Based in a WeWork in Old Street, you get nice coffee machines, free yoga, HIIT and kickboxing classes, and a secure bike room & showers
- 25 days holiday a year
- Opportunity for share options in a company with a real sense of social purpose. Every Koru Kids round has been heavily oversubscribed so these options are of real value
- As a proud equal opportunity employer we are supportive of flexible working patterns, and alternative working arrangements. We are committed to hiring candidates based on business needs, job requirements, and candidate qualifications, without regard to individual’s characteristics or backgrounds. Our offices are step-free, and have non-gendered bathrooms
About the team:
We have an informal, hard-working and kind team culture. We’re all passionate about our mission and are determined to create a truly fantastic childcare service to help working parents. Our culture is friendly and fast paced – we are constantly challenging, testing and adapting the way we do things. We’re also really committed to working with integrity, doing the right thing and building a company we are truly proud of. We’re growing super fast but we also want to make sure that we are building a company on really solid foundations. We take great care with who we hire and all team members are superbly talented and really nice. If you’re brilliant AND humble, you’ll fit right in.
If you’re interested, please send us your CV. Alternatively, since we receive a lot of applications, why not send us something else - something that demonstrates your belief in our cause, your professional capability, ability to tell our story or anything else you believe will catch our eye. Impress us - stand out.
Since we receive so many applications, we can only get in touch with those candidates we deem suitable for the next stage of the process. If you’re not lucky enough to get through, best of luck in your career search.