Established in 2013, Bright Network is the leading platform connecting graduates and undergraduates with the best employers in the UK and Europe. We've achieved this by giving our members the very best experience: high quality free careers advice; an e-learning platform to help prepare for the working world; internship and job listings for all the best graduate employers; and market leading events where members meet and network with employers.
Originally founded in London, Bright Network have now opened an Edinburgh office to further build out their tech team. We're looking for software engineers with several years experience building customer facing applications, with high quality code and good design. We know that your specific technical experience is less important than your cultural fit and ability to work effectively in a small tech team. This role offers you the opportunity to take on a lot of responsibility across a whole host of technical challenges as we continue to build out the tech platform.
We primarily use python across most of our services, but also have native mobile apps on iOS and Android, and a react native application for student signups. We use a lot of automated testing to enable continuous integration and are shortly moving to continuous deployment.
We're fortunate that the code base is relatively new, so we don't have much legacy code to deal with and are focused on building out new features and functionality in short build, test and learn cycles - delivering value to our members and clients and validating each product increment with the end user. We have a really exciting roadmap - from how we use data science to match members with the right employer; to how we upskill our members so every one can get their dream first job; to how we build the best possible platform for our members to make the right career choice.
Our working culture focuses on collaboration, solving problems together, peer reviewing all our work, and deploying working code on a regular basis. We believe in an open and transparent culture, challenging each other to design the very best software and all learning and improving through the process.
As a Bright Network software engineer you will be responsible for designing, building and launching new platforms, services and features across our entire range of products. You will work closely with the other engineers and the CTO to be a key contributor to technical design and problem solving. You will also help shape the technical roadmap as we continue to make the platform more robust and ready for greater scale.
Our core engineering team is based in Edinburgh, so ideally you will also be Edinburgh based, but we will consider remote working within GMT+/-2. We have a very successful remote working culture with two of our engineers working remotely.
Our ideal candidate
- 3+ years experience designing and implementing complex web applications
- you could have more experience in frontend or backend but are able to work across the whole stack when needed
- experience running and maintaining large scale web applications
- experience working with relational databases like PostgreSQL or MySQL
- detail-oriented, focusing on writing maintainable code of high quality
- a product & customer mindset - you experiment to find innovative solutions to end user challenges
- believes in and practices automated testing at all levels
- values developer productivity, and relies on continuous integration and automation to iterate faster
- is a team player who strive to better not only themselves, but also everyone around them
- small business or startup experience a plus
- Salary: Competitive
- Career progression with associated pay increases
- Exposure to all areas of the business
- Sociable team with an excellent culture
- Flexible working: working from home is part of our remote working culture
- Start date: as soon as possible