Job Title: Senior Embedded/Firmware Developer
Reporting to: CTO
Location: London Bridge
• Good career development opportunities
• Great perks package
• Put your name to the next big IoT products in the UK & USA
• Work with a talented and friendly team
• Lovely new office in London Bridge
• Genuine opportunity for a talented and driven individual
If you are a talented, innovative and ambitious developer with embedded, low level, firmware experience, looking to play a key role in a successful and rapidly expanding start-up, we can offer you the challenge and opportunity that you are looking for.
The job will involve developing for a variety of microcontrollers that either do not run an operating system or run a simplified Real-Time Operating System (RTOS), to produce firmware for wireless consumer products, as well as interfacing to Cloud services via different APIs. We are not specifically looking for candidates with experience in audio/visual processing, however some knowledge would be helpful in acclimatising to the role and a willingness to learn is a must.
As engineering will be performed at both a high and a low-level, we are looking for a programmer with very strong skills in ‘C’ programming, commenting and code debugging. Experience in basic electronics and use of microcontrollers (registers, pin configuration etc) would be a distinct advantage. Activities will additionally include customer support for technical issues, firmware testing and safe deployment, contribution to documentation and progress reports along with other tasks typical within a small development team where there is not always a clear division of roles/responsibilities. The candidate must love programming and be enthusiastic in their work. The candidate should also be well organised, interface well in team meetings and present well to end-customers and distributors.
Smarter is an award winning British connected home company with a product range that connects existing appliances to the internet, allowing you to control them from your phone. At Smarter we design, manufacture and distribute our products throughout Europe and the US with customers such as Currys, John Lewis and Best Buy. We are a passionate group of people based in London with plans to expand the business globally. Growing at a rate of 300% we are set to become one of the fastest growing UK technology companies.
The following skills/experiences are considered a must in-order to be considered for employment:
• Very strong skills in ‘C’ language programming.
• Knowledge of HTTP REST protocols.
• Strong code organisation and planning, with code-control (Git, SVN) experience.
• Experience/capability in working without the use of higher-level libraries.
• Investigate technical aspects and root causes of problems
• Experience with consumer products
• Strong debugging capability (preferably in debugging microcontrollers).
• Strong commenting and documentation skills.
• Ability to learn and adapt to new architectures, both in hardware and in software.
• Ability to work co-operatively but independently within a small team.
• Qualifications in:
o Embedded software design
o Hardware and electronics (or experience)
• Able to demonstrate extensive experience within a senior or team leadership role
• Experience with connected devices (WiFi/Bluetooth/Zigbee…)
• Experience within start-ups is desirable
• Must be detailed, organised and proactive
• Ambitious, with passion and a ton of energy
• Enjoys a challenging and fast-paced environment
• A passion or interest for new consumer technology and the emerging media landscape
• Ability to work on their own and as part of a team
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
• Must have experience with working on products designed for mass production
The candidate should have at least two of the following skills/experiences to be considered for employment, any additional skills/experiences may also work in a candidate’s favour:
• Experience working with microcontrollers and/or other digital electronics.
• Experience with ARM products.
• Platform security
• Experience with Firebase or other NoSQL databases.
• Experience working with RF hardware and/or software.
• Experience in working with upgrade mechanisms, OTA updates, etc.
Due to the number of applications we receive, only successful candidates will be contacted.