More about Ably
Ably is the world’s fastest Data Stream Network (DSN) spread over 14 data centers and 175+ points of presence. Each day we stream billions of realtime messages to millions of end-users for thousands of developers around the world. Some of the things our platform powers: HubSpot’s chat and collaboration products, live score updates for millions of Australian Open tennis fans, live transit updates for three million Chicagoans. Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure that will power and shape the future of the internet.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at www.ably.io/careers.
In this role
Ably is an engineering company at its heart, providing cloud APIs for developers which simplify the delivery of realtime functionality in apps and services, and how businesses publish streaming data to other businesses.
You will be responsible for transforming Ably’s ideas into reality. Each product or feature is treated like a mini-startup within Ably, with resources allocated from core engineering, web development, product marketing, project management and design teams. You will be working with close-knit teams throughout the feature lifecycle, from defining the requirements, acting as product owner during delivery, and working with marketing to ensure a successful launch.
You will be successful if you:
- Know what a good product looks like and can articulate your vision to others to help inspire and focus.
- Are experienced with product delivery of APIs and developer-focussed web products.
- Like solving a diverse set of problems that may range from technical API design through to user-focussed UX challenges.
- Enjoy talking with customers to validate product development ideas and their requirements.
- Deeply care about customer experience. For Ably, we focus on developer experience, with starts with the APIs they consume, the documentation we provide, through to the online tooling and support we provide.
- Are empathetic to users and can put yourself in their shoes by using skills like writing small code samples that use our APIs, allowing you to prototype solutions.
Day to day you will:
- Work with senior managers and the engineering teams to maintain the product and platform roadmap.
- Cultivate a deep knowledge of customer problems through research, engagement with the developer community, and customer interviews. You will drive initiatives to validate demand and commercial value of new features.
- Be embedded within the delivery teams, UX, and engineering to make trade-offs, steward the delivery process, and close gaps in requirements.
- Communicate problem statements and product (solution) requirements to engineering and document them in writing, along with UX wireframes or API scaffolding where appropriate.
- Work with product marketing and wider marketing teams to deliver go-to-market plans for new products and features.
- Define, monitor, and analyze product metrics, and feed learnings back into the development process
- Clearly communicate product plans, tradeoffs, and results to a wide range of audiences.
- Assume the Product Owner role in our agile delivery process.
The skills needed:
- 5+ years of product management experience.
- Experience building a IaaS / SaaS / Cloud API product.
- You’re comfortable when things get technical, and are able to write code (in any modern language) to build prototypes that use our APIs.
- Experience defining APIs, documentation, and building UX prototypes.
- Strong background delivering solutions for developers.
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle process and methodologies.
Nice to have:
- Software engineering degree or background.
- Experience working at a startup
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team from the likes of Econsultancy and ThoughtWorks. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. To provide the infrastructure required for the next generation of the internet, to tell the world about it, and to support everyone inside Ably to do so we hire people who are ready and capable of taking on challenging problems in a high-growth environment. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. We’re building a company with a diverse set of people who value:
- Ownership and impact of work. You have real autonomy and ownership over your work with a visible impact inside Ably, and externally on products powered by Ably that you use in your daily life.
- An environment to thrive. Modern, comfy office in the heart of Old Street. Excellent transport links, lots of great food, bars and restaurants nearby, and multiple work spaces to match your working style.
- Truly flexible working and not just lip service. Come into the office, work at home, or rock up at your local coffee shop at the hours you focus best.
- Work is varied and challenging as we’re solving hard, complex problems that push the limits of what’s possible with today’s software and infrastructure.
- Health insurance
- Gym membership
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly team breakfast or lunch
- Free drinks and snacks in the office
- Ongoing professional development (training, events, conferences)
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions towards your pension
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
Ably has a culture that values employee freedom and responsibility. Apply to talk to us to see if this role on an impactful and collaborative team is right for you.