StoryTerrace turns life stories into books using a fast growing pool of freelancers and proprietary technology. Our mission is to turn 1 million life stories into books by 2028. We work with 500 freelance ghostwriters that we manage from our offices in London and Los Angeles.
We’re now looking to hire our first full time member of the finance team, to work in London with an experienced part-time CFO, our CEO / Founder (with consulting / PE background) and an outsourced bookkeeper. Our initial goals for the role are to professionalise our finance function, deliver business insights and help us prepare for our next funding round.
While you probably have accounting training and the ability to prepare monthly management accounts, we’re looking for candidates with experience at a fast growing start-up, and the ability to add value across finance, operations and business analysis. For example, you could map the process flow to analyse how to drive efficiency in our customer journey, or take cost-per-qualified-lead and conversion data and analyse the efficiency of our marketing channels, providing actionable insights to our production, sales and marketing teams.
Scope of role:
- Bring in-house an externally held finance function, designing and rolling out key financial processes (including account preparation) and controls to support this scaling business.
- Build relationships across teams to enable effective business partnering - managing budgets and forecasting, KPI tracking, and based on this knowledge, prepare insightful internal and external reporting materials.
- Support the company’s fund-raising objectives, through preparation of investor materials and models, due diligence support and maintenance of cap tables and investor documentation.
- Design and implement appropriate processes to support scale up - for internal operations, including target setting, internal communication, and internal systems to ensure as a team we are working and communicating efficiently.
- Similarly, contribute to the way we understand, develop and scale external process flows - for sales operations or the story production process.
- Complete ad hoc research projects, for example, competitor analysis, market size and trends analysis, customer research or structured analytics on business performance.
- Support international expansion, including set up, compliance and consolidation of any overseas entities, with support from tax advisors as necessary.
- A strong academic background with general business experience and/or an MBA
- Ideally, a qualified accountant with 3+ years of general business experience post qualification
- Experience in a high growth tech environment (ideally with B2C business model experience)
- Analytical, mathematical and data driven in approach, with advanced Excel and financial modelling skills. Ability to use data analytics tools would be an advantage.
- Effective communicator, comfortable working with teams across the business.
- Ambitious, driven and detail oriented. Someone who can be trusted to deliver.
We will consider applications on a rolling basis, so early applications are encouraged. Please submit your CV and a brief covering letter in your application.