Triptease exists to stop technology being a barrier to fair competition for hotels. We are on a mission to disrupt intermediary booking sites and establish the direct channel as the dominant method of hotel distribution.
We're looking for a Principal Data Scientist to join our fast-growing team and help us shape that vision and bring it to life. Based in our London HQ, you will play an instrumental role in the evolution and development of methods to optimise advertising campaigns.
We collect nearly 50m events per day, scrape 150m prices per month and track 50m visitors across hotel websites each month. You will define new methods for how we measure performance and apply machine learning at scale to our large customer base and data sets.
We work in cross-functional squads where every data scientist is a member of a data science practice and fully embedded into product squads alongside product managers, engineers, designers and marketers. Example projects include: delivering machine learning-driven programmatic bidding pipelines for advertising; applying reinforcement learning techniques to optimise the online guest booking experience; and using ensemble methods for predicting visitors' intent to book.
You will help deliver industry leading data science capabilities at Triptease, which will include coaching, mentoring and supporting a team of three data scientists.
What will I be doing?
- Extracting value from hotel websites' data to give hotels a competitive advantage against other distribution channels. You'll have access to a breadth of data including textual, price, behavioural and geodata, which is applied to predictive models and causal models.
- Building, optimising and serving machine learning pipelines to drive highly-performant bidding strategies.
- Designing and evaluating experiments, monitoring key product metrics and understanding root causes of changes in metrics.
- Turning user and performance data into insights that drive impactful product changes, from automating client set-up, to recommending sensible product options, through to detecting and helping struggling users.
- Pairing with engineering and influencing the full data product lifecycle: from analysis and prototyping to production development.
- Bringing statistical rigour and being a technical role model for the data science practice, shaping technical direction for not only your work but for the wider team.
- Playing a key role in building a practice of exceptional data scientists who are embedded into different product teams across Triptease.
- Communicating the state of business and experiment results to broad stakeholders.
- Identifying and driving improvements to the execution of the data science practice through standardisation of process, authoring new best practices, mentorship and cultivation of new expertise.
- Ensuring the data science practice is successful with inclusivity, mentorship, feedback & recognition.
What skills do I need?
- You have multiple years of professional industry experience in data science, working as a lead analyst or data scientist.
- You have experience using a variety of data science methods, such as business intelligence, experimentation and causal inference through to machine learning. You know when to pick the right tool, and can help others do the same.
- Experience with broad set of statistical and machine learning methods to build predictive models.
- Expert in at least one programming language for data analysis (e.g. Python, R).
- Expert in designing and testing experiments, and automating and optimising data work flows.
- Experience driving high impact data work within cross functional squads, including working with and collaborating with product managers, engineers and designers.
- You have mentoring and coaching experience, and you really enjoy that part of the job.
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills.
- Comfort operating autonomously in a fast-paced, collaborative and feedback driven environment.
- Experience within the Ad Tech ecosystem a plus.
- Experience as a manager a plus.
- An advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in a quantitative field a plus.
Where will I be working?
Your main place of work will be at our London office (a two minute walk from Oxford Circus Station) but you may be required occasionally to travel to our offices in New York and Singapore.
What we offer
We're a well looked after bunch, with excellent benefits.
- A competitive salary and meaningful equity.
- A learning allowance to spend on what you want.
- Ten Discovery Days to down-tools and try new things.
- Fun events for Tripteasers - the entire company went to Madrid for our Xmas party last year!
- Free lunch as part of our Friday Learning Lunches.
- Whatever equipment helps you get your job done.
Something important to you that's not on this list? Talk to us!
We're a diverse group of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Triptease! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.