Location: Hackney, London
Job type: Permanent, Full-time
IKAWA is a fast-growing start-up based in East London.
We design and manufacture transformational, innovative systems to improve the quality and appreciation of coffee and have customers in over 70 countries worldwide.
Our products currently consist of two types of coffee roasting machines together with supporting apps and a range of curated green coffees. The award winning IKAWA Sample Roaster is used by coffee professionals to advance coffee quality by helping them improve their evaluation of green coffees. It has already been disruptive in this sector and is now being used by industry leaders to enter and win global coffee competitions.
Responsibilities of the User Researcher:
IKAWA is committed to user centered design principles focusing on users in each phase of the design process with the mission of understanding and meeting our users’ needs. In order to achieve our goal of having successful products which are valuable to our users, IKAWA has decided to hire a talented User Researcher.
The role involves researching our customers’ needs and the ways our current products are used. This understanding and insights can contribute to developing our Product Strategy and service improvements. The strategy will lead to a series of product development projects which will be carried out by digital and physical product development teams. You will work as a member of these agile teams (closely with the CTO, Product Manager and R&D Project Manager) as the user expert testing new developments and supporting decision-making. You will report to CTO (also IKAWA’s Founder). You are required to work independently with a high level of autonomy and also as a part of an effective team collaborating with senior stakeholders.
- Planning, designing and conducting usability testing.
- Visiting customers in order to research how our professional customers use our products.
- Modelling user journey maps.
- Applying knowledge of a user-centered design process to product and service design in an iterative development environment.
- Promoting user centered design principles and best practice across the whole organisation, acting as IKAWA’s expert in how customers use our products through face to face user research and data analysis.
- Planning, designing, preparing and running user research activities to support the design, development and continuous improvement of our products.
- Designing, executing and analysing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Setting up usability studies using remote testing platforms.
- Developing user personas to guide how we develop new and existing products.
- Understanding customers’ needs and behaviours to suggest digital or physical product improvements.
- Investigating and reporting how product improvements are received by the market.
- Working with senior decision makers as required to devise appropriate research strategies.
- Working closely with key stakeholders including CTO/Founder, Product Manager, R&D Project Manager, marketers, designers and developers to turn user insights into products and services.
- Presenting findings and related design/business recommendations and customer insights to senior decision makers.
Requirements of the User Research:
- Demonstrable knowledge, experience and passion for user centered design practices for mobile app & physical products.
- Proven experience of understanding user needs for app content, tools and transactional services, especially those with the most complex user journeys.
- Experience using a wide range of qualitative and quantitative user research methods.
- Proven experience of working in an agile development environment with designers, developers and product managers to create new digital products and services.
- Collaborative approach and good at building relationships with colleagues across all areas of the organization, customers and external stakeholders.
- Understanding of UI principles.
- An excellent communicator with good interpersonal skills, confident working with individuals at all levels.
- Good at influencing, driving impact and implementing change.
- Excellent oral, written, and visual communication skills. Comfortable presenting and standing up for your ideas and insights in front of diverse audiences and senior stakeholders.
- Good time-management skills.
- Self-motivated, resourceful and effective managing oneself to meet deadlines.
- Previous experience or passion for the coffee industry is a plus.
Company benefits including MacBook, IKAWA At Home Roaster, team incentives and activities, perks, occasional travel, L&D opportunities, flexibility, 22 days’ holiday plus bank holidays, access to company pension scheme, ride to work scheme.