Adzuna is a job search engine that lists every job, everywhere. From launch in the UK in 2011, we now have more than 10 million visitors a month and are busy conquering the world from our office in West London.
We’re looking for a Data Scientist to help us make job search better using the power of data. This is a rare and exciting opportunity to join one of the UK’s most dynamic and fastest-growing startups, reporting to the Head of Data Science and playing a key part in Adzuna’s current and future data science projects.
The role will involve working with big data and using techniques such as natural language processing to answer questions like: How many clicks do we expect a certain job advert to get? How can we optimise the order of job advert search results for jobseekers? Based on a jobseeker’s CV, how well suited are they to a particular job?
As well as working on new products and features, responsibilities would include:
- improving and maintaining our existing data science products such as ValueMyCV
- applying data science techniques to wider business areas, eg marketing analytics
- extracting and processing data for ad-hoc sales opportunities
Lastly, data engineering skills would be nice-to-have. For example, experience of managing data workflows, pipelines, ETL process and production deployment (we use AWS).
We offer a fun and supportive working environment, with an emphasis on team-working, mentoring and training. Adzuna is an exciting high-growth business where you can make a huge difference, with a market competitive package including significant stock options.
We don't like to put people in boxes, but you're likely to be able to demonstrate much of the below:
- Direct experience of building models using machine-learning techniques. This experience may have been acquired solely in academia or industry (or in combination)
- A technical degree at 2.1 or better (or equivalent) from a top university, with a background in a relevant discipline such as computer science, engineering, economics, or maths
- Advanced proficiency and min. 2 years’ experience with Python and/or R (we use both, but primarily Python)
- Experience with natural language processing, text mining, ontologies
- Experience with extracting, parsing and wrangling large volumes of data in a range of different formats (such as csv, JSON, and XML)
- Good basic knowledge of statistics and probability theory
Useful extra skills/experience (nice to have):
- PhD in a relevant field of machine-learning
- NLP experience with any of: deep neural networks, vector-embeddings, Latent Semantic Analysis
- Ability to rapidly prototype web interfaces to demonstrate/test models
- Expertise with distributed processing solutions like Spark
- Expertise with pipelines, ETL and deploying models into production with APIs (Django, Flask)
- Experience with the AWS suite of tools such as S3, Athena, Kinesis, DynamoDB, Elastic Beanstalk
- Designing or building recommender systems
- Experience in online classified advertising and/or with job advert/CV data (eg HR-XML)
- Intermediate/advanced SQL skills
- Successful participation in machine learning competitions such as Kaggle
What we offer
- Market competitive base salary (plus bonus)
- Stock options
- 25 days holiday
- Cycle to work scheme
- A positive attitude towards flexible working and parental leave
- A values-based culture
- Company contributory pension scheme
- Huge learning opportunity from smart, experienced colleagues
- Table tennis table and a program of team social events
- Bright, airy office with roof terrace and bar in the heart of bustling Fulham Broadway
More about Adzuna
Adzuna is a search engine for job ads used by over 10 million visitors per month that aims to list every job, everywhere. We search thousands of websites so our users don't have to, bringing together millions of ads in one place. By providing smarter search options and powerful data about the job market, we give jobseekers the information they need to take control of their careers.
Adzuna.co.uk was founded in 2011 by Andrew Hunter and Doug Monro, formerly of eBay, Gumtree, Qype and Zoopla and is backed by leading Venture Capital firms Passion Capital, LocalGlobe, Index Ventures and Smedvig Capital.
We also supply real-time data to the Number 10 Dashboard and Office for National Statistics labour market indices. In 2018, Adzuna won the contract to run ‘Find a job’, one of the British government’s most used online services.
Adzuna’s mission is to be the best place to start looking for a job. We love using the awesome power of technology to help match people to better, more fulfilling jobs and keep Britain working.