A bit about the role.
You’ll be fundamental in providing technical leadership and expertise to solve day to day challenges. You’ll help develop and execute our technical strategy whilst being hands-on to drive results with the kitchen team.
We’re always striving for better, so we want you to build, develop and improve our existing management systems. You’ll protect the business from product safety, quality, compliance and ethical issues in line with legislation. You’ll set and maintain the technical standards across the business and you’ll always put the customers and their dogs at the heart of these policies. You’ll ensure that standards are reviewed, updated, trained and communicated on frequently to all necessary stakeholders.
Auditing will be your bread and butter. Whether this is our suppliers, cold stores, co-manufacturers or our own kitchen, you’ll be able to adapt and drive continuous improvement.
You’ll own our ingredient development and supplier on-boarding process, so we expect that you’ll be able to build great relationships with our suppliers.
You will be responsible to make sure that we are always compliant and do the right thing to stay true to our value which is for the love of dogs.
A bit about you.
We’re growing faster than the grass in springtime so we’re looking for someone who has strong technical experience in food production but is looking for a bigger leadership challenge.
As the technical manager, you’ll be responsible to promote a quality culture and management system to ensure that we deliver finished products which are manufactured at the right quality, the first time, with no defeats. You’ll ensure that our technical activities are robustly structured and managed in such a way as to comply with relevant industry standards.
This role is due to a restructure in the technical team. It’s based in London and will report into our Head of Innovation and Technical. You will lead the technical function and will have 3 direct reports.
- We envisage at least 5 years of hands-on experience within the technical side of food production or related field.
- You will be educated to at least a degree level in food science or a related discipline and you’ll be comfortable with agricultural animal food production.
- You will be results and solution orientated with a proven track record.
- You will be able to hit the ground running. You’re not afraid of the grind.
- You’re a great communicator, credible and a team player.
- IT skills and presentational skills are a must.
- Knowledge of the pet industry and guidelines would be a bonus.
- Fluent in English, any other language is a plus.
A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
We want to change the pet food industry for the better by helping dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives. We have come a long way since our co-founders (Kevin & David) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box.
We are on a mission to provide the best customer experience, feed more dogs and revolutionise an arcane industry using the latest technology. That’s where you come in….
A bit about what we offer.
- 24 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays)
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space at Huckletree West
- Butternut Box employee discount.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Friday drinks & monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
A few things to note:
- There is no specific date this role will go down but we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We don’t use external recruitment agencies for assistance on roles.