Buying a car is the 2nd biggest financial decision people make after buying a house, and it’s an incredibly complex one. Consumers face many challenges in the process: from choosing the right car to buy, to making sure they’re getting a good deal - here at carwow we aim to fix them all.
From an attic to the 6th fastest growing company in Europe in 2018; carwow is an online marketplace making car buying better for everyone. Car buying is one of the last areas to be revolutionised by the internet - here at carwow we’re leading the online revolution. Already we’ve improved car buying for 200,000+ people who have bought £5 billion+ worth of cars with our help.
We’re a highly driven (excuse the pun), energetic scaleup with a team of 200+ based in London, Munich and Madrid. We’re backed by some of Europe’s leading VCs & car manufacturer Daimler (Mercedes-Benz) with over £55m of total funding raised.
We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can make car buying better, so if you’re curious, motivated, and want to help us change the future of our industry, get in touch. It’s the chance to be at the very start of something huge.
carwow is looking for a Mid-level Product Designer to join our expanding Research & Design team. The team covers all aspects related to research and insights, supporting the business needs for Marketing and Product.
The Research & Design team is at the heart of our Product team, working directly with Product Management in defining and developing our Product. Day-to-day you will be a member of one of our six Product Squads, working using Agile methodologies and rituals.
Our common Design goal is to build and develop a scalable Product for car buyers. carwow has a data-driven environment, we love to continually learn as we ship Products. The team works with our in-house Data team and User Research to build quantitative and qualitative insights helping us to guide our Product Vision and thinking.
carwow focuses on the development of every employee, we openly encourage learning and self-development. Designers have direct coaching support from the Head of Design and Lead Designers. You'll have access to a personal learning budget, regular 1-2-1 on role purpose, skill development, building autonomy and supporting your wellbeing. The Research & Design team meets regularly throughout a working week to align work, form cross-collaboration and have group critiques.
The ideal candidate
Minimum of 2+ years of experience working on digital product design. The applicant will have a portfolio of digital design showcasing mobile apps or responsive website design. A successful applicant's folio will have two to three example projects and an extended case study.
To be asked to interview, carwow needs to see evidence of a strong Product Design process. This includes defining a user problem, creating user flows, sitemaps, wire-framing and UI prototyping.
- Practice user-centred focused design. Have the user at the heart of your thinking, be able to empathise by defining a user problem, create a job story, establish design goals and success metrics. Be able to challenge assumptions and validate problems with research and data.
- Have a good understanding of Design Systems for a digital Product. Being comfortable working on a responsive website, designing with a mobile-first perspective. In an interview show examples and be confident in explaining how components are created and used.
- Show and apply Design and Product Principles in your working consistently. Communicate work clearly and concisely and demonstrate how you collect, process and respond to feedback.
- Championing the importance of good design throughout the organisation. Collaborate with other Product Designers, Product Managers and Developers, helping others by giving constructive feedback and holding teammates to accountability.
- Work autonomously and quickly under the direction of a Lead Designer. Be self-sufficient and organised, setting weekly goals, planning your diary, writing and sharing notes and flagging issues early.
- Already gained two years' experience working at a Digital Agency or Tech Company
- Robust portfolio of work showcasing digital projects
- Your application must show evidence of the use of qualitative and quantitive data, this may include running surveys, using Google Analytics or equivalent tools and user testing.
- Portfolio will exhibit shipped or live projects. A strong candidate will show their working and how they explore ideas, use practice and methods to evaluate your solution.
- Have a case study that shows the design process in-depth, including problem definition, research and evidence, wireframes, highly polished UI prototypes and production-ready designs.
- Be comfortable building digital experiences from a mobile first perspective
- Good skills with design and prototyping software (e.g. Sketch, InVision, AdobeCC etc.)
- Be able to create and implement a Design System and build a pattern library (e.g. Sketch, Framer, Figma etc.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Can clearly articulate ideas and design decisions, annotate interactions and handover notes to developers
- Experience and knowledge of working with front-end developers
- Excellent eye for aesthetics and understand the value of beautiful design