£45,000 p.a. - £60,000 p.a. plus equity options
Childcare is a major pain. Every parent knows it. That’s why Koru Kids is building the world’s best childcare service, starting in London. We use technology and human psychology insights to make our services seamless and efficient. We aim to make it easier and more affordable for families to access high-quality childcare.
Parents who use our service LOVE it, and we’re growing super fast. We’re backed by fantastic investors, including top venture capitalists and business angels, and we’ve won a bunch of awards. We’re so proud of what we’ve built so far, but we’re only just getting started, with massive plans for 2018 and beyond.
You will lead the teams that deliver the backbone of our product experience to customers. This includes customer service, product finance (billings and nanny payroll), nanny contracts, first-aid training delivery and DBS checks.
About the team:
We have an informal, hard-working and kind team culture. We’re all passionate about our mission and are determined to create a truly fantastic childcare service to help working parents. Our culture is friendly and fast paced – we are constantly challenging, testing and adapting the way we do things. We’re also really committed to working with integrity, doing the right thing and building a company we are truly proud of. We’re growing super fast but we also want to make sure that we are building a company on really solid foundations.
Reporting directly to the COO, you will ensure the logistical, fiddley parts of childcare arrangements work seamlessly so that our families and nannies can focus on building long-lasting and wonderful relationships.
You’ll know you’re smashing it in this role when:
- The customer service function is a high-performing and thriving team, working efficiently to deliver excellent service with killer customer satisfaction
- All of our invoices to families are correct and collected, and all of their nannies are paid correctly and on-time. Taxes and HMRC obligations are also handled in a seamless, timely and accurate way for our families.
- All of our families and nannies have a clear employment contract in place.
- All of our nannies are first-aid trained with the right skills needed for the role. They’re also rigorously DBS-checked 100% of the time.
- All of the above scales effectively as we grow 3x year-on-year and introduce new forms of childcare and expand geographically.
In order to achieve these goals, you’ll likely find your time split as follows:
- 20% dedicated to strategy and planning
- 40% spent in execution with teams on the front-line, serving customers and coaching team members
- 40% invested in improving our systems and processes so that we can deliver a better service at scale.
You will be leading teams with a range of backgrounds and experience levels - from existing university students to specialists with 5+ years out of undergrad. You will be predominately managing team leads, though you may also step in to manage the front-line directly. To do your job, you will need to build high performing teams where members can flourish and deliver the best possible service to our customers.
Importantly, you will work to improve how each support team does its job and deliver a better service to our customers. You’ll need a healthy sense of dissatisfaction for the status quo, and a drive to improve the things around you. This will involve implementing better systems, building better internal tooling, and introducing better practices. Running experiments, testing pilots and embedding new ways-of-working will be your bread and butter. You will work closely with other teams across the business (like product and engineering) to improve our support systems and develop new product features.
You get a kick from bringing order to chaos, and introducing stability and efficiency into existing teams. If you like to make things work better, then you’ll be in the right spot. Our support services are currently delivered through a small and brilliant collection of team members; but things can get chaotic at times with our current growth rates. Your job will be to build these teams and capabilities to new levels of effectiveness so that they hum along nicely day-in-day-out as we scale.
A bias for action will serve you well here. We’re a young, fast company and like to experiment, make decisions and implement them quickly by default. If things start creaking, you’ll get a thrill from jumping into the trenches and sorting our complex problems with high degrees of pressure where every minute counts.
We’d love to hear from you if you have experience managing teams of topic specialists. Bonus points if you’ve built or run a customer services function or a support function in general. If you have, let us know what you did to improve the performance metrics of that function. It’s also nice if you have a working knowledge of employment contracts and payroll (but really not essential).
Essential skills we require of ALL team members
- You’re emotionally intelligent. Although you’ll like to talk, the most important thing you’ll do is listen.
- You’re a problem-solver. You can break complexity into smaller bite-sized pieces and enjoy solving difficult challenges.
- You love working with numbers, data and problem-solving. Excel is your friend. We love people who love analysis.
- You love improving things and are curious by nature. You can create new processes, make suggestions, and tell us we’re doing things wrong
- You roll with it. You understand that startups are unpredictable environments. You are comfortable with a degree of chaos
- You’re nice. You get that no player is bigger than the team. You fit right into our culture of supporting and helping each other.
- You’re detail-oriented. You’ll be working in a complex system, and the details must be 100% correct
- You’re able to write clearly, simply and accurately
- You can work at a fast pace and under pressure
We work from a fantastic co-working space 3 mins walk from Old St tube in central London. The office has showers, bike storage, a hammock, drinks and snacks.
We’re also big on flexible work arrangements - with many team members choosing to work remotely or with non-traditional work patterns - and we subsidise Koru Kids childcare. We emphasise autonomy and every team member is given the freedom to determine how they do their best work.