You are a force for good on a team and an avid learner looking for a place where you can have a giant impact. You’ll bring your ideas and passion for developing secure, highly usable and accessible products so that we can build the best possible product for teachers and bring useful tools into education.
We’re at the beginning of rebuilding and replatforming from a tightly-coupled open source CMS and website to a modern application architecture. We’re considering static site generators like Gatsby or dynamic SPAs using frameworks like React/Next.js and approaches like UI component libraries and serverless and automated testing.
You will get to
- Be involved in deciding and evolving our development processes, how we test and our coding standards
- Help us make decisions about tools and technologies. Do we stick with our current CMS (as headless)? Pick a new generation headless CMS? What data model should we choose?
- Report to our Director of Technology, Nick, who cares deeply about creating a sustainable team environment, built on collaboration, commitment and learning
- Work across the whole stack; front end, back end, platform engineering and with third party integrations like AWS Cognito for user authentication and Braintree for payments
- Learn and grow in a safe, supportive environment that understands mistakes are like TDD for success
You should apply if
- You enjoy putting together and working with GraphQL APIs
- You’ve made a significant contribution to one complex application where you had to think about security, accessibility and usability
- You want to build highly usable and accessible products that teachers, students, librarian, content managers and developers love
- You want to work with different parts of our business - such as marketing, sales and product management - and share ownership with the team
Not sure if you should apply?
Job descriptions feel like they want the moon on a stick and more years of experience in the latest frameworks than anyone could possibly have. We’d love to hear from you if you care about theatre and education, keeping up with what’s evolving in web development, share our coding standards and want to keep learning, whether you have a PhD in Computer Science or went to a coding bootcamp.
We are building a balanced team in an inclusive environment and we welcome applications from all. Our benefits include 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays and an additional day off on your birthday), a Wellness Wednesday each month, enhanced maternity/paternity leave and a social committee that runs an end of year retrospective as well as organising a nice variety of culture-building events.