Do you want to help shape local democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced yet collaborative environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab is a Brussels-based social impact scale-up that aims to improve democracy for the digital era. The SaaS platform is already being used by 125 cities and municipalities in 8 different countries, facilitating two-way communication between local governments and its citizens. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab gave 250.000 citizens a direct voice in local politics and got recognized as 'Best Social Impact Startup in Europe'. After recently having raised a significant funding round, CitizenLab is looking for mission-driven talent to join on its mission to have 2,5 million citizens actively participate via its e-democracy platforms in cities all over the world.
Back-End Engineer at CitizenLab (Engagement)
As a Back-End Engineer in our Engagement squad, you focus on the core product which allows local governments to engage their citizens through a wide range of digital participation methods. You work on our back-end APIs which are mostly written in Ruby.
You’ll help us prepare our architecture and make it future proof. You know how to deal with a growing codebase and have notions of what it means to evolve a monolith to a more modular architecture. You’re interested in the world of infrastructure, containerization and CI. You’ve worked with AWS or similar IaaS providers and Docker before. You’re eager to further develop these skills.
At CitizenLab, we work in small teams where members collectively take ownership of the outcome of the features they build. Engineers don’t merely implement specifications, but are empowered to come up with solutions, in close collaboration with their peers and with direct exposure to the end user. We work in very small iterations and release continuously. We’re strong believers in automated testing and code reviews. We automate as much as we can.
What do we expect from you?
- You are experienced in Ruby and Ruby on Rails
- You know how to translate concepts to a sound data model
- You never write code without writing tests
- You care deeply about performance and scalability
- Experience with Docker, AWS and infrastructure is a plus
Eagerness to learn, talent, and enthusiasm are more important than ticking the boxes though. Even if not all desired requirements are met, but you're very excited about the role, we want to hear from you.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have an impact at scale. We're daily working with +125 governments to connect them to their citizens.
- Become a key factor in our rapid transition from startup (15 employees) to scaleup (35 employees).
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative and supportive environment—right in the heart of Brussels.
- Be part of our dynamic European team. We organise many team activities and go for lots of spontaneous after-works... which inevitably turn into political discussions after two beers—that's an interest we all share. :)
- Informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in inspiring team lunches, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, bi-yearly off-site team retreats.
- Receive a competitive salary package, incl. perks such as 26 paid holidays, your own laptop, flexibility on working from home, and more.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.