Do you want to help shape local democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced yet collaborative environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab is a Brussels-based social impact scale-up that aims to improve democracy for the digital era. The SaaS platform is already being used by 125 cities and municipalities in 8 different countries, facilitating two-way communication between local governments and its citizens. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab gave 250.000 citizens a direct voice in local politics and got recognized as 'Best Social Impact Startup in Europe'. After recently having raised a significant funding round, CitizenLab is looking for mission-driven talent to join on its mission to have 2,5 million citizens actively participate via its e-democracy platforms in cities all over the world.
Applied NLP Engineer at CitizenLab (Insights)
You’re an applied NLP Engineer in our Insights squad. You’ll help to add the magic in a brand new part of our product: Providing useful insights for decision makers in local governments, based on citizen inputs. You’re not a hard core data scientist, but see yourself as a problem solver using machine learning technology. That’s exactly what you’re doing in the insights squad, by building various prototypes that apply the state of the art in NLP on textual citizen inputs.
You’ll overcome not only the technical challenge, but also the human interaction challenge of successfully applying AI, in close collaboration with the designers and developers in your squad. Together, you strive to make the application of technology as transparent as possible towards the end user. You’re not afraid to make your hands dirty to improve data quality, if that’s the best way to move forward.
At CitizenLab, we work in small teams where members collectively take ownership of the outcome of the features they build. Engineers don’t merely implement specifications, but are empowered to come up with solutions, in close collaboration with their peers and with direct exposure to the end user. We work in very small iterations and release continuously. We’re strong believers in automated testing and code reviews. We automate as much as we can.
What do we expect from you?
- You’ve successfully applied NLP in a product context before.
- You’re up to date on current trends in the field.
- You have a good view of the ecosystem: Libraries, APIs and algorithms.
- You’re driven by achieving a valuable solution for the user, not just by the technology.
- You embrace the human interaction challenge of applying AI.
- You have basic knowledge of developing APIs and web applications.
- You have excellent skills in Python and master key libraries like NLTK, Gensim, spaCy...
Eagerness to learn, talent, and enthusiasm are more important than ticking the boxes though. Even if not all desired requirements are met, but you're very excited about the role, we want to hear from you.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have an impact at scale. We're daily working with +125 governments to connect them to their citizens.
- Become a key factor in our rapid transition from startup (15 employees) to scaleup (35 employees).
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative and supportive environment—right in the heart of Brussels.
- Be part of our dynamic European team. We organise many team activities and go for lots of spontaneous after-works... which inevitably turn into political discussions after two beers—that's an interest we all share. :)
- Informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in inspiring team lunches, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, bi-yearly off-site team retreats.
- Receive a competitive salary package, incl. perks such as 26 paid holidays, your own laptop, flexibility on working from home, and more.
CitizenLab is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.