Do you want to help shape local democracies for the digital age? Are you looking for an international and fast-paced yet collaborative environment to thrive in?
You have come to the right place.
CitizenLab is a Brussels-based social impact scale-up that aims to improve democracy for the digital era. The SaaS platform is already being used by 125 cities and municipalities in 8 different countries, facilitating two-way communication between local governments and its citizens. Since it was founded in 2015, CitizenLab gave 250.000 citizens a direct voice in local politics and got recognized as 'Best Social Impact Startup in Europe'. After recently having raised a significant funding round, CitizenLab is looking for mission-driven talent to join on its mission to have 2,5 million citizens actively participate via its e-democracy platforms in cities all over the world.
Full-Stack Engineer at CitizenLab (Engagement)
As a Full-Stack Engineer in our Engagement squad, you focus on the core product which allows local governments to engage their citizens through a wide range of digital participation methods. You’ll work both on our back-end APIs, which are mostly written in Ruby, and our front-ends, which are mostly written in React and TypeScript. Ideally, you know both stacks, but you are at least proficient in one of them and are experienced with a similar framework for the other.
As someone with the overview, you’ll help front-end developers understand the back-end challenges and vice versa. You’re always helping to smooth out the unknowns between both worlds.
At CitizenLab, we work in small teams where members collectively take ownership of the outcome of the features they build. Engineers don’t merely implement specifications, but are empowered to come up with solutions, in close collaboration with their peers and with direct exposure to the end user. We work in very small iterations and release continuously. We’re strong believers in automated testing and code reviews. We automate as much as we can.
What do we expect from you?
- You have multiple years of experience in building end-to-end web applications.
- You’re experienced in Ruby on Rails and React with Typescript, or you’ve worked with a similar stack before.
- You like to think along and collaborate on the solution, not just on the implementation.
- You know how to implement a modern user interface.
- You know how to implement a sound API.
- You’re an excellent communicator and are effective in bridging knowledge gaps between front-end and back-end engineers.
What can you expect from us?
- Unlock your full potential and have an impact at scale. We're daily working with +125 governments to connect them to their citizens.
- Become a key factor in our rapid transition from startup (15 employees) to scaleup (35 employees).
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative and supportive environment—right in the heart of Brussels.
- Be part of our dynamic European team. We organise many team activities and go for lots of spontaneous after-works... which inevitably turn into political discussions after two beers—that's an interest we all share. :)
- Informal work vibe with open communication and full transparency on results.
- Participate in inspiring team lunches, bi-quarterly strategic town halls, bi-yearly off-site team retreats.
- Receive a competitive salary package, incl. perks such as 26 paid holidays, your own laptop, flexibility on working from home, and more.