Why Join Us?
At AYR we're using revolutionary technology and design to help smokers change their relationship with nicotine. We're a London-based technology start-up that began with a simple, yet ambitious mission. To help people quit smoking, for good.
Unlike any other company, we are supporting people on their journey to zero. Not just zero cigarettes, but also zero nicotine. We think it’s time smokers were given a smarter option and we will continue to innovate for a smoke-free and nicotine-free world.
If you’re a bright, ambitious Mechanical Engineer, we’ve got an exciting job working in our London office. As part of our growing mechanical team, you’ll help to create, analyse and develop innovative and complex electro-mechanical products and systems.
What you’ll do
We are looking for someone who can:
- Produce innovative concepts and carry ideas through from brainstorm to detailed prototype
- Mature prototype designs for manufacture and produce technical drawings
- Source materials and select suppliers to ensure a smooth transition to manufacture
- Develop methodical test procedures and build test rigs to prove concepts and verify designs
- Gather and analyse data and write reports, to provide creative solutions to problems with prototypes and existing products.
- Work closely with manufacturing partners in Asia and the U.S., including some travel to manufacturing sites.
What you’ll need
Of course, you’ll have a good degree in a relevant engineering discipline and some industry experience. You’ll also be a great team player and as keen as we are to produce work to the highest possible standards. You’ll be comfortable with a start-up environment and not afraid to get your hands dirty or learn new skills. We’d also like you to have some, or all, of the below:
- Experience designing complex electro-mechanical and fluidic systems using SolidWorks
- Analytical skills experience, including structural and tolerance analysis
- Hands on experience with workshop tools and 3D printers
- Experience of technical documentation (including GD&T) and design calculations to achieve high performance and reliability
- Knowledge of various manufacturing processes, including plastic injection moulding, metal extrusion and machining, to influence design choices and ease of manufacture
- a bonus.
Bonus experience could include:
- Experience with medical products
- Sourcing and working with Suppliers in the Far East, mandarin language skills a plus
- Working with an in-house electronics team to incorporate their input. A knowledge of electronics design and manufacture would also be of benefit
- Experience of advanced analysis tools like FEA and CFD
- Appreciation of mechatronic systems and basic coding (e.g Arduino/Raspberry Pi) and data analysis using python/visual basic
We work hard but we're flexible; there are no fixed hours but equally you may find yourself working into the evening very occasionally. We’ll pay you well, give you complete ownership to define your role, give you life-changing and technically challenging products to work on and surround you with fantastic, talented people. We also provide the following benefits:
- Flexible working hours and a casual dress code
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Pension scheme
- Opportunities for career progression in a well-funded, high-growth start-up.
- Free tea, coffee, fruit, biscuits and beer!