Ably is a tech company that provides developer tools and infrastructure for the realtime internet. Chatting on WhatsApp, hailing an Uber, asking Alexa what the weather will be like tomorrow - all of these things rely on complex software and infrastructure. This is what Ably provides.
Here’s just a few things our platform powers: HubSpot’s chat and collaboration products, live score updates for millions of Australian Open tennis fans, and live transit updates for three million Chicagoans.
In the near future, Autonomous Vehicles, IoT devices (e.g. connected fridges or environment sensors), and AI-powered experiences will be the norm. But new infrastructure is required to power it all.
Working at Ably means helping to build that infrastructure and shape the future.
To see what life’s like at Ably, check out our careers page at www.ably.io/careers.
In this role
We’re looking for a natural relationship builder with strong analytical and organisational skills to oversee the execution of first line support across different subscription plans. You will act as the first port of call for inbound support requests across Intercom and Freshdesk, and manage Enterprise accounts to retain and expand accounts.
Internally you will represent ‘the Ably customer’ both individually and as a wider group, motivating growth and product development.
About your role
While motivating/organising/positioning/ the 2nd line support team to deal with incoming support requests, you will be responsible for ensuring the success of Ably’s Enterprise customers and managing their onboarding and post-sale experience.
You will act as the primary point of contact for Ably customers and will be "the face of the business." You will be responsible for delivering results on OKRs/KPIs including revenue retention and expansion.
You will maintain a deep understanding of the Ably services so that you can lead value-adding customer conversations, understand customer's needs, and communicate these needs back to internal teams.
You will act as an internal escalation point for customer requests including: technical questions, contract questions, and other account-related questions.
You will advocate for customers internally and balance the needs of the customer with the business needs of Ably.
Role and responsibilities
- Build account plans and strategies to retain and increase revenue and market share within existing accounts
- Lead proactive discovery conversations to uncover new opportunities
- Lead commercial negotiations with your clients and manage the contract renewal process
- Work closely with company leaders from multiple functions (e.g. engineering and sales) to improve our product and service
- Solve complex user needs, helping our users grow their businesses
- Make users love Ably by proactively offering advice on industry best practices and creative product solutions
To succeed you will need to...
Be a people person:
- Build long-term relationships (primarily via remote conversations) with your contacts and deeply understand their use-case and objectives
- Demonstrate a high degree of empathy for customer requests
- A knack for working well with a wide range of people, both internally and externally
- Motivate internal teams and processes to deliver best results for the customer
Have excellent communication skills:
- Ability to communicate, present to, and influence key stakeholders at all levels of the Enterprise organization, from developers to senior enginners to C-level
- Communicate customer motivations and use-case internally to meet and exceed expectations
- Ability to understand and assess technical challenges to find and present a solution
- Present the ‘customer voice’ as a whole to inform product development
Be highly organised and motivated:
- Manage a complex book of business with many tasks and competing priorities
- Project management skills to oversee integration, product delivery and ongoing engineering work
- Work closely with devrel, engineering, sales and marketing teams to deliver exceptional customer support
- Data-driven approach to Quarterly Business Reviews with customers and monthly account adjustments, with strong attention to detail
Have a genuine passion for technology products:
- Absorb and leverage technical concepts as they develop
- Maybe you've dabbled with coding yourself at some stage
Have a proven track record in commercial success and customer development!
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Founded by two engineers who spotted a hard and largely unsolved problem, Ably is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide the infrastructure required for a high-bandwidth, always-connected world we hire engineers with a broad set of technical skills who are ready and capable of taking on challenging realtime engineering problems.
As a company and engineering team we’re committed to a future internet that’s open and Ably’s engineers contribute to existing open source projects. See https://go.ably.io/open
We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well. We’re building a company with a diverse set of people who value:
- Ownership and impact of work. You have real autonomy and ownership over your work with a visible impact inside Ably, and externally on products powered by Ably that you use in your daily life.
- An environment to thrive. Modern, comfy office in the heart of Shoreditch, London's thriving tech hub, with multiple break out spaces to match your working style. Excellent lunch options, plenty of pubs, and great events. Five minutes from Old St tube station, Liverpool Street Station, and Shoreditch High Street Overground station.
- Truly flexible working and not just lip service. Come into the office, work at home, or rock up at your local coffee shop at the hours you focus best.
- Work is varied and challenging as we’re solving hard, complex problems that push the limits of what’s possible with today’s software and infrastructure.
Perks & benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Private Health Insurance
- ClassPass membership
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly team breakfast or lunch
- Free drinks and snacks in the office
- Ongoing professional development (training, events, conferences)
- 25 days of paid annual leave (33 days including bank holidays)
- Company contributions towards your pension
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
Ably has a culture that values employee freedom and responsibility. If a role on an impactful and collaborative team is right for you, apply and let’s talk.