About Pear Bio
Get the right cancer treatment the first time.
At Pear, we’re ditching the traditional guessing game - which is full of trial and error - and are personalising cancer treatment selection because every cancer is unique. To achieve this, we’ve developed a medical device that cultures patient tumour samples and identifies the best treatment for that patient.
We are a VC-backed startup based in London. To grow our business, we’re looking for a breast cancer tissue engineer to join our early-stage team. Will you be the one?
Breast Cancer Tissue Engineer Job Description
For breast cancer, we’re starting with triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC). You will research and implement protocols for culturing primary tumour cells in hydrogels and microfluidic devices. This ex vivo platform will test FDA-approved cancer treatments and single out the best one for each patient.
You will start with cell lines for early-stage R&D. Then you will have access to primary tumour samples for pre-clinical and clinical trials, where you will test and rank 5 FDA-approved treatments. You will also optimise the protocols for cell culture and treatment assessment. You will also be in charge of finalising the protocols for an independent clinical trial.
- Culture cell lines and primary patient tumour samples
- Develop tumour engineering protocols that can be replicated in clinical labs
- Operate a microfluidic device and test FDA-approved anti-cancer drugs on tumour samples
- Test experimental therapies for pharmaceutical companies
- Conduct various genotypic and phenotypic assays
- Work on preclinical trials with triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC)
- Develop protocols and best practices for independent clinical trials
- Master’s in the life sciences or engineering
- Experience in handling/culturing primary human cells, particularly tumour samples
- Experience in running various phenotypic and genotypic assays
- Published papers in the life sciences
- 2+ years of work experience in cancer research or tissue engineering
- PhD in the life sciences or engineering
- Experience in clinical trials
What’s in it for You
- London lab space
- Competitive compensation in line with industry standards
- Potential stock options in a growing startup
- Open work environment where your opinions are valued
- High career growth in a fast-paced environment
We are unable to sponsor work visas at this time. Please confirm your ability to work in the UK without sponsorship before applying.
The position is not eligible for remote work. If you are not based out of London, you will be expected to relocate.