VP Finance and Legal, Aldgate; Tech-for-good start-up - £70-90k pro-rata
Part-time (20 hr p/w)
Own Commonplace’s finance, risk management and administrative functions to support and shape our continual growth. Commonplace connects communities with the places they live, work or play to accelerate positive change.
About the company
Commonplace is a fast-growing Series A startup in the digital engagement space. Our best-in-class, award-winning SaaS platform hosts inclusive conversations where communities and organisations collaborate to create better places to live and work, and improve the quality of life and fabric of their neighbourhood.
We’re moving fast to meet ever-changing expectations, delivering extraordinary engagement from communities and insights to our customers. We must evolve rapidly but with nuance; disruptively but with integrity; and most important of all - together with our team members, customers and respondents.
We’re searching for someone who can demonstrate success in the mechanics of this role but, as importantly, lives our core values, is a great communicator who translates technical complexities into strategic guidance, and is an inspiration to the team around them.
This role is critical to our success: we need a completely dependable platform for growth. Way more than just a support role, everything you do will help shape how well and quickly we help our customers and communities.
At the moment our CEO Mike is responsible for everything within finance and legal. Given his other responsibilities he is stretched in terms of what he can deliver to the board, investors and back into the business to enable quality decision-making. His time to focus on the strategic direction of the company ensuring a consistently high pace of delivery is severely limited, and we run the risk of missing things of vital importance.
As our VP of Finance and Legal, you’ll balance technical proficiency with commercial acumen, listening to various stakeholders, devising solutions that solve set us up for success as we scale, communicating the ‘why’ behind your recommendations. You’ll be a fundamental part of our decision-making process, questioning our assumptions on where to be proactive vs reactive, and ensuring we’re giving appropriate thought to the right considerations.
Things we’d love you to accomplish in the first 6 months or so:
- Recut our budget for the next 6 months
- Rebudget our next financial year
- Reforecast our financial model for the next 5 years
- Review relationships with external accountant and bookkeeper
- Review our process to track expenditure, invoicing etc
- Introduce rigour to our legal, data and compliance commitments
To be successful, your background should include:
- A background in finance roles, since ⅔ of this role will be finance-focussed, including either:
- Experience in a similar Head of, VP or Director role, OR
- The willingness and desire to take the next step in your career
- Experience in an institutionally-funded startup
- Any experience in disruptive technology or the built environment is also beneficial
- MBA or accountancy qualification (preferred)
Your tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Develop financial strategies for operational efficiency and growth
- Prepare financial and legal reports for the senior management team and board
- Develop and provide insight into metrics required to assess our performance for:
- The board, partnering with our investors representative where appropriate
- The internal senior team, providing weekly and monthly insights
- Oversee all financial and legal processes, ensuring compliance with relevant financial, tax and legal rules
- Devise and manage a company risk register, ensuring agreed mitigation actions are undertaken
- Manage cash flow, creating and implementing plans to reduce debtor days
- Oversee and review company insurance cover
- Manage employees, partners and suppliers who are delivering finance, bookkeeping and legal work, framing and valuing commercial relationships
- A proven analyst, you’ll understand the balance between relying on data and succumbing to analysis paralysis, knowing when it's time to forge consensus
- A natural communicator, you’ll forge relationships based on trust and mutual respect
- You’ll have an infectious energy and will enjoy being part of a team with a shared vision
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to recall and present necessary evidence at board level
Compensation and benefits
- A good salary, with company bonuses and an equity component once you’ve settled in.
- Flexible working hours - you are free to work the hours that suit your lifestyle.
- Flexible holiday arrangements - we don’t limit how much you take.
- A Macbook Pro to work on.