Food waste is a $1 trillion problem – costing the world over 1% of global GDP. We’re dead set on solving the problem and looking for people to help us achieve our mission. We, at Winnow, believe that food is far too valuable to waste, and that technology can transform the way we produce food. Our team is made of people who all share a passion for food and technology.
Winnow was founded in London in 2013 to help the hospitality industry prevent food waste through internet of things tools in the kitchen. We have worked with hundreds of sites and are operating in over 30 countries around the world supported by our offices in London, Dubai, Shanghai, Singapore, Romania and North America. We are a rapidly growing company with a strong base of clients who are rolling out our system globally. We have blue-chip customers including Accor Hotels, IKEA, IHG, Marriott, Compass Group and many others.
Winnow’s clients on average reduce waste by over 50% by value and sustain savings. Winnow has now worked with hundreds of sites to reduce food waste, including hotels, universities and schools, staff restaurants, event/hospitality kitchens, buffets, pubs, and high street restaurants. Where the system is permanently adopted, pre-consumer waste value is reduced by 50% - 70% with no detrimental impact to the perceived quality or value of the offer to their customers. This represents a typical improvement of food cost savings of 3% to 8%, commonly a 40%+ increase in profitability for operations.
As the global leader in addressing food waste, we are committed to continue pushing the envelope on what technology can do to solve this problem. Winnow Vision, our new artificial intelligence-based technology, is trained to automatically track all food waste thrown away. It has won awards at the World Economic Forum and has been received tremendous enthusiasm from our clients and the industry. You can read more about it on our website and this article in Forbes.
We are passionate about living our values and place them at the centre of everything we do. We are excited about likeminded talent who share these values, joining us in our mission:
Equal parts head and heart. We’re both passionate and measured. We carefully balance the need for quick solutions and pragmatism with the ability to step back, take in the bigger picture and build for the long term.
Bravely honest. With each other, that means we’re a transparent organisation where healthy, respectful debate is encouraged. With our customers, we challenge them if we don’t think they’re achieving their goals, whether they be environmental or financial.
People of action. Done is better than perfect, and we learn by boldly doing then rapidly improving. We’re breaking new ground, so we know things might go wrong. But we judge ourselves and each other on our reaction and our resilience.
Bound by food. We’re a diverse bunch, but our belief in the value of food is the common thread in everything we do. With each other, we celebrate through our love and respect for food. With our customers, it means we work hard to develop creative tools to make it easy for chefs to value food.
Hungry and humble. Our product is revolutionary, our people are impressive, and we’re hungry for change. But, we’re just the catalyst for a bigger movement. We stay humble regardless of our success, and make chefs the heroes in this journey.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing start-up (and one of Wired’s top 100 start-ups in Europe) and help us propel our growth at what is truly the most exciting and dynamic points in time in our business. You will work alongside a driven team who are motivated by building an exciting business and leaving the world a better place than we found it.
About the operations team
The Operations team are responsible for the on-boarding and implementation of our technology across new customers, as well as ensuring on-going success once the system is up and running on client sites.
The team manage the processes, systems and controls which enable our business to successfully scale and grow. The team continually review these processes to provide innovative enhancements to achieve operational excellence, which in turn enable the company to meet its strategic objectives.
Our Operations team consist of over 27 colleagues who are based in London, Dubai, Singapore, Shanghai and the US. Within Operations, the hardware team takes responsibility for the procurement, storage and distribution of our hardware components.
Due to continued global expansion we are looking to hire a Hardware Manager to manage the hardware components and distribution of the Winnow product. This is very much a hands on 'doing' role, which will also have line management responsibility for one team member. This role would be perfect for someone that loves getting stuck in, has a keen awareness of (or interest in) the complexities of international logistics and can identify and implement improvements quickly.
- Manage the stock and forecast of hardware materials from arrival at our storage space through to distribution out to our customers
- Take responsibility for the provision and assembly of product software onto hardware so that it meets the needs of each individual customer, ensuring demand is met within agreed timeframes
- Oversee and track shipment of products to our global customer base, acting as a point of escalation to resolve challenges as they arise
- Identify process enhancements to streamline the way global distribution is managed
- Act as key point of contact for hardware, materials and logistics suppliers
- Track which hardware products are on which client sites, and identify ways to better monitor this
- Maintain sufficient levels of stock to satisfy global customer demand
- Support product and hardware teams on ad-hoc projects (for example procurement of new materials, liaising with suppliers to ensure new materials are fit for purpose etc.
- Manage receipt of any faulty equipment returned and undertake initial troubleshooting to try and identify cause of issue. Pass to hardware team should further investigation be required. Ensure all returned equipment is logged and faults diagnosed
- Assemble metrics for weekly and monthly internal KPIs for example reporting on costs verses budgets, shipping costs, hardware costs verses budget etc