Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) is a small but firmly established and well-funded start-up that is developing a cloud-based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS). Their technology will be used to enable Customers to solve some of humanity’s most significant challenges: from enabling life-changing drug discoveries to developing new battery technologies. Interest is already being expressed in the proposed QCaaS by Central Government, Defence and other areas.
In order to launch OQC’s QCaaS a number of enabling software, hardware and infrastructure projects must be planned and implemented. These have been initiated and are currently being managed by various Directors in the company. With the current pace of development and company growth, the Directors are now seeking day-to-day project management to support them in delivery.
Therefore, OQC has an urgent requirement for an experienced project manager to establish an effective project management regime within the company and to then take over the day-to-day responsibility for ensuring that all OQC projects progress in a co-ordinated and well managed manner. This role has the potential to evolve into that of a program manager, depending on the rate of growth of the company.
At OQC we’re not just hoping you’ll fit in our culture. We aspire to thrive, as a company and as people, thanks to your diversity of thought and background. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing our team members with a work environment free from discrimination, where everyone is treated with respect. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, talent and merit.
The focus of this Project Manager (PM) role is to ensure that all OQC projects are effectively managed throughout their project life-cycles so that the QCaaS :
- is launched on schedule, within budget and to the required quality and specification and
- that it will satisfy government, defence and relevant commercial information security & assurance and accreditation requirements.
THIS ROLE IS HARDWARE FOCUSED. WE SEEK CANDIDATES WITH EXPERIENCE IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT, INCLUDING RELOCATION, LAB FACILITY CREATION, AND PROCUREMENT.
The successful candidate will ideally have start-up experience within a scientific / R&D environment and will report directly to the Directors, who will act as Project Directors for the projects in their areas of responsibility. These Project Directors will provide a Mandate and Brief for each project to be managed by the successful candidate.
The Project Manager will initially be responsible for reviewing and developing the planning as appropriate and then the day-to-day management of all the OQC’s projects required to create a secure OQC QCaaS. These currently include but will not be limited to:
- Relocation of the Business from Oxford to a new location. This project will include all aspects including but not limited to: Human Resources, Technology, Infrastructure and Procurement.
- Technology Development.
- Creation of a Laboratory Facility.
These projects are critical to the future development of the business and to the eventual commercialisation of its service.
Due to these projects, the suitable candidate will ideally have managed a relocation and lab set up and also be able to handle the procurement that comes with this.
In the future, this role may be expanded e.g., to include development and management of the on-boarding process required to connect new Customers to the QCaaS facility but this is yet to be confirmed. Further, depending on the company’s rate of growth, this role may evolve to include program management.
OQC currently uses Agile project management, particularly for software and technology development. The suitable candidate would ideally be experienced within an Agile environment and be PRINCE2 certified or similar.
Integrated Project Planning Regime
- Based on the Project Mandates and Briefs provided the OQC Project Directors, create or update as appropriate, a Project Initiation Document (PID) or equivalent for each project.
- Establish an effective and appropriate project management regime for use throughout the company and across all OQC projects, including for the on-boarding of customers.
- The project management regime must ensure that all projects are taken forward in an integrated manner such that OQC’s high-level business outcomes are achieved. This regime will, as a minimum, include processes to assure the effective management of:
- Dependencies and;
- Executive Decisions.
- The successful candidate will be required to raise awareness of and promote project management best practice throughout the company.
Should the need arise, work with the relevant project team(s), business area(s) or customers to investigate and resolve problems, keeping the management team informed as appropriate.
The Project Manager will work with the Executive Management Team to establish:
- An appropriate governance framework that will ensure adequate and effective oversight and control of all OQC projects.
- A reporting system, addressing both exception and routine reports, that will ensure progress and issues are reported in an appropriate and timely manner. This applies both between the Project Teams and the Project Manager and between the Project Manager and the Executive Management Team.
Using the above framework and processes, engage with senior management regularly with reports on project status, activities, achievements and issues.
Resource Planning & Management
- Working with HR and other department heads, establish and effective matrix management process.
- Engage with OQC senior management and engineering and software team leaders on project management and relevant operational matters.
- Contribute, as required, to the development ofthe OQC annual budget based on delivery, operational and financial targets.
- Closely collaborate with Operations on supply chain, manufacturing and quality management processes.
- Maintain and foster an open and collaborative working environment.
- Contribute to staff annual appraisals on project management aspects.
- As the company evolves, recommend and assist with the recruitment of additional project management resources that may be required.
Working with each of the OQC technical and software engineering team leaders, help to ensure that from a project management perspective and throughout design, implementation and ongoing management of the service, all the individual elements of the service comply with the overarching technical and security architecture and that once they are brought together, they will operate securely as a coherent whole and satisfy national government, defence and commercial physical and information security requirements.
The successful candidate will also be required to:
- Maintain and build upon the reputation of the company’s quantum computing service.
- Support commercial team during hosted customer visits to the company or at exhibitions, conferences and other sales and marketing activities.
- Contribute to Company meetings and communicate clearly to both engineering managers and at executive/board level as required.
- Contribute to Business Development activities and in building trusted relationships, as required.
Key Measures of Success
- Establishment of an appropriately robust project management regime across the company.
- Enhanced awareness and implementation of project management best-practice across the company.
- Effective communication of project management requirements to all the engineering and software teams and across the wider company.
- Meeting or exceeding all relevant project & contract performance measures.
- Professional and efficient execution of all project management activities leading to successful programme & contract delivery, including the growth of existing contracts.
- Effective management and reporting of project dependencies, risks and issues etc.
- Timely delivery of an appropriately accredited, secure, scalable and fully integrated cloud-based quantum computing platform and service.
- Enhancement of OQC’s reputation as a provider of secure Cloud Based Quantum Computing Services and for efficient and effective contract delivery.
- Successful delivery of all other activities that logically fall into the successful candidate’s area of expertise or experience.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Certification and proven experience in the use of Agile Project Management methodologies. Certification and experience in the use of PRINCE 2 or other Agile compatible methodology would be advantageous.
- Experience in lower-level software e.g. embedded and hardware focused.
- Extensive and proven experience in the management of complex, multi-faceted software and technology projects
- Extensive experience in the management of all aspects of a business relocation.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a cross functional organization and effective use of matrix management of resources.
- Understand how the product design and development processes and accreditation requirements will impact the project.
- Strong inter-personal skills, with a consultative approach focussed on ensuring the timely delivery of the projects, within budget and to the required specification.
- Proven ability to work well to deadlines and under pressure.
- Ability to rapidly gain an appropriate understanding of the commercial and technical aspects of wider OQC business.
- Understanding of the project integration requirements and how these will be identified, translated into dependencies and subsequently managed.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation), including the ability to listen effectively.
- Strong self-awareness, and a capacity to reflect on one’s own practice and implement changes from lessons learnt.
- Competent user of Office, Project Management Software, OQC currently uses JIRA, the internet and other applications relevant to the role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Engineering or related field required.
- Certification and proven experience in Program Management.
- Certification or proven experience in:
- Risk & Issue Management
- Business Continuity Management
- IT Service Management (ITIL)
- Start-up experience ideally within a scientific / R&D environment
- Experience in management of relocation and lab set up
- Knowledge of ISO27001.
Oxford Quantum Circuits is currently based in Oxford but plans to relocate its office and establish a laboratory facility in a nearby area. The company also has access to a research facility at Royal Holloway, Egham.
The Project Manager will initially be based at the OQC office in Oxford and subsequently, when the company relocates, at their new office. There might be a requirement for travel throughout the UK and abroad for meetings, conferences and engineering visits etc.
Competitive salary and company benefits.
Send your CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.