Who are Opensignal?
Opensignal is the global leader in measuring the performance of mobile networks. We provide insights to mobile networks in to how to improve and optimise their network, based on the data and analysis that we create. Our data comes from connectivity tests we perform on Android and iOS apps, and provide our analytics via a subscription to our SaaS platform. In between these two is a data pipeline where we collect, aggregate, and analyse the huge volume of data to product this analysis. This role is looking for a leader of this team.
We organised our Engineering team using a modification of the famous “Spotify” Squad model: you will be leading our “Metrics Squad” a cross functional unit containing all the skills to deliver our goals from A to Z. The mission of our Squad is to take the raw data collected by our devices and produce metrics that help the industry understand the experience of mobile users. It’s a very important role at Opensignal, critical for the commercial success of the business and one that helps shape how the global telecoms industry is measured.
An example of a metric the Squad recently launched was our “Gaming Experience” metric, which involved the Squad creating an Android/iOS UDP test and network of test servers, creating Data Science models to process and understand this data, and a thoroughly tested pipeline to produce the results at scale.
In the Metrics Squad, you will be leading a team of 2 Python/Scala Data Engineers, 2 Data Scientists, 1 Android Developer, 1 QA Engineer, with 1 Product Manager. We are a multi-cultural team with different nationalities, and some members based at our HQ in London and others remote.
We organise our work following the Agile principles (mostly!): we run 2-week sprints, with daily standup, retrospectives, demos, and planning meetings. Tech wise, our code is on Github, and we use Jira for task management. Jenkins runs our CI.
- At Opensignal, “Squad Leads" are responsible for delivering software according to roadmap. You will work closely with the Product Manager at the early stage of projects, helping to scope the project and give feedback on feasibility of features, balancing trade-offs between technical, analytical and product needs to help broker pragmatic solutions.
- You will work with the Squad to break down the high-level product roadmap into defined phases and tasks and will prioritise these together with the product team.
- You will define the skills and experience of the members of your Squad, working with functional Chapter Leads to ensure you have the right people on a project at the right time.
- Understand the technical aspects of the software you are building and making sure we are building software that is performant and able to scalable.
- You will be responsible for building the Squad identity and cohesion, including how they communicate and engage with each other both on and off projects.
- Squad Leads will also need to collaborate with Chapter Leads to ensure the wellbeing of the Squad is maintained, ensuring any behavioural, interpersonal or performance related concerns are managed appropriately.
As a Squad Lead you will also sit within a team of technical and product leaders. These responsibilities include:
- Working with technical and product leaders to ensure roadmap delivery across the whole of Engineering.
- Working with the VP Engineering and the other people in the engineering leadership team to build and follow our development processes.
- Help define our long-term technical roadmap, planning and estimating to improve the performance of the team and deliver business value while managing technical debt.
What we need from you
- This is a technical leadership role; we are looking for several years of experience as a technology leader or technical delivery / project manager, delivering software throughout a product or feature lifecycle - from inception and estimations through to completion and deployment.
- You’ll need past experience as a software engineer, preferably in either Data Engineering or Data Science. The role will require no hands-on coding (unless that is your preference), however it will require being able to review code and make decisions on technical approaches.
- Our Squad Leads are confident communicators, able to talk to any level of technical ability clearly and provide your opinion whilst being open to other viewpoints and ways of doing things.
- You will have worked in an Agile way as part of a previous role - from Agile Ceremonies like stand-ups and retros to sprint-planning and code reviews. You'll understand the importance of working in this way and be able to talk us clearly through the benefits and challenges with an Agile approach.
- You'll have the attitude of a pragmatic problem solver, and an engineering mind-set. By this we mean an interest in all things tech, a desire to experiment and tinker (even with tools and technologies outside your immediate remit) and you'll find the challenges faced whilst programming to be interesting and satisfying.
- Knowledge about telecommunications technologies (LTE, 5G) and the telecoms industry in general is beneficial, but not a requirement.
- Also, we are ideally looking for a candidate who is immediately available or with a short notice period.
What will you get in return?
- Competitive salary and stock options to share our growth
- Matched-contribution based pension scheme, company-wide bonus, private healthcare (including wellbeing subscriptions and discounted gym membership), life insurance, cycle to work scheme and MacBook
- Constant exposure to learning opportunities in your role and the ability to make an impact from day one
- £1000 learning budget with access to a learning platform providing access to thousands of opportunities to spend it on – from conferences to courses and training, and regular 'Opensessions' (internal learning talks)
- Our 'Opensignalers' - an ambitious, focused and friendly team backed by some of Europe's top investors
- 25 days holiday per year, enhanced parental leave, and generous flexible working culture
- Regular all-company events – from team lunches, ‘Openclubs’ (from our book club to bouldering club), regular company town halls and socials through to our bi-annual away days)
- HQ in Angel, central London, filled with fresh fruit, coffee and an abundance of snacks and drinks, set in an area buzzing with coffee shops, eateries, a local market and bars.
To understand how we will be holding your information please take a look at our Recruitment Privacy Notice: